- Campus public safety
- Campus security
- Keys, cards & alarms
- Traffic safety
An important message from Campus Public Safety
As activity and community members decreases on campus due to closures and social distancing measures, property crime and thefts are happening more frequently.
Campus Public Safety (CPS) would like to remind the SFU community that to ensure the security of your valuable assets, do not leave your property unattended and secure your door when leaving your office for any reason or any amount of time.
When working on campus during the closure:
1. Do not leave your property unattended (e.g., laptops, bags, keys, cell phones) and secure your door when leaving your office for any reason or for any length of time.
2. See something, say something. Report any suspicious people or activities to Campus Security’s Urgent Line at 778.782.4500. In an emergency, dial 9-1-1 and then Campus Public Safety Urgent Line for immediate security response.
3. For non-criminal concerns that do not require urgent response, you can opt to file an online report here.
4. Please consider your personal safety and refer to SFU's policy on Working Alone or in Isolation (GP39) for guidance on appropriate additional safety measures. Call the Campus Public Safety Non-Urgent Line at 778.782.7991 to let them know what area you are working in and how long you anticipate being on site.
5. Before you leave for the day, please ensure valuables are not visible from the outside of your office space, and where possible locked in cabinets. Lock all office doors and make sure windows are tightly secured. Close all blinds and curtains, especially where an interior can be viewed from outside. Ensure office and cabinet keys / FOBS are properly accounted for and secured. Report missing keys immediately to CPS.
When planning to work remotely:
1. Lock all office doors, and make sure windows are tightly secured.
2. Close all blinds and curtains, especially where an interior can be viewed from outside.
3. Secure portable and easily removed items such as popular desktops (e.g., iMacs), tablets, laptops, AV equipment and cash boxes in locked cabinets/vaults; where these high value items cannot be removed or secured in a locked cabinet, please ensure they are not visible from outside of your office.
4. Take home any valuable personal items, including any materials or equipment containing information or IP of value to you.
5. Ensure office and cabinet keys / FOBS are properly accounted for and secured.
6. Ensure taps and faucets are turned off in rooms where they will not be in use.
7. Check for any property issues and notify Facilities if these have potential to become a bigger concern if left unattended (e.g., broken doorknobs, unsecurable windows, backed up toilets, pipe leaks, electrical issues, etc.).