- Preparing for graduate studies
- Get Involved
- Drop-in workshops
- Mini course
- Awards & funding
- Herbert G. Grubel Award
- James Dean Award
- Lang Wong Memorial Endowment Scholarship
- Meiyu Li Memorial Scholarship in Economics
- Peter Kennedy Memorial Graduate Entrance Scholarship in Economics
- Peter Kennedy Memorial Graduate Fellowship
- Richard G. Lipsey Award
- Terry Heaps Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award
- Shiva and Elizabeth Nanda Graduate Fellowship in Economics
- Shiva and Elizabeth Nanda Graduate Scholarship in Economics
- Job market candidates
- Graduate student profiles
- Student publications
- Department Login
The dynamic teaching and learning environment of the Simon Fraser University Department of Economics brims with talent, creativity, and global connections. SFU economists develop the tools to think systematically about the world.
The Department of Economics at Simon Fraser University is one of the top economics departments in Canada. Our world-class faculty consistently produce high-quality research published in top economics journals.
Our undergraduate programs are taught by renowned research professors, and students in our graduate programs are challenged to reach their full academic potential.
A leader in sustainability
SFU Economics is among the early adopters of sustainable office practices. We have undertaken a number of measures to promote sustainable behaviours, such as installing light occupancy sensors, low-flow taps, and we are in the process of developing an on-boarding sustainability course for new employees to promote sustainability awareness and habits. We are also the first office in Burnaby to re-certify and improve our ranking from Bronze to Silver.
Why study Economics?
Economics studies human behaviour in a broad range of contexts, from how individuals and businesses make decisions to large-scale societal challenges such as how to fight poverty and unemployment.
Studying economics provides you with a framework for thinking systematically about these issues, and developing quantitative skills that will help you understand data.