- Preparing for graduate studies
- Drop-in workshops
- Mini course
- Awards & funding
- Herbert G. Grubel Award
- James Dean Award
- Lang Wong Memorial Endowment Scholarship
- Meiyu Li Memorial Scholarship in Economics
- Peter Kennedy Memorial Graduate Entrance Scholarship in Economics
- Peter Kennedy Memorial Graduate Fellowship
- Richard G. Lipsey Award
- Terry Heaps Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award
- Shiva and Elizabeth Nanda Graduate Fellowship in Economics
- Shiva and Elizabeth Nanda Graduate Scholarship in Economics
- Job market candidates
- Graduate student profiles
- Student publications
- Department Login
Visiting scholars & graduate research students
Visiting scholars are people with significant academic qualifications whose work may benefit from an unpaid residency at SFU's Department of Economics. Visitors must be sponsored by a Department of Economics faculty member. It is the responsibility of a prospective visitor scholar to contact the appropriate faculty members to arrange for such sponsorship.
Please note, due to a large number of applications we receive each year, we are unable to accommodate all visiting scholar requests.
In selecting applicants for visitor scholar status, the Department of Economics considers those who have already earned a PhD degree, the applicant’s background, field of interest, scholarly achievement, research proposal, and English language proficiency.
- SFU affiliation
- Use of SFU Library resources
- Internet access and shared office space
Visiting scholars must commit to a minimum term of one academic year (or more), and are expected to engage in the institution’s work environment as an active academic participant by:
If a faculty member is interested in sponsoring a Visiting Scholar, please submit the following items electronically to the Research Grants and Projects Coordinator at email@example.com:
- A statement of sponsorship on SFU letterhead from a current faculty member
- Letter of application
- Current CV
- Desired dates for visit
Applications are reviewed once a year, typically in September.
A letter of invitation will be extended to successful applicants. Successful applicants from outside Canada will be expected to arrange their own travel and immigration documents.
Visiting graduate research students
Simon Fraser University (SFU) is regularly ranked as one of the top comprehensive universities in Canada. We welcome graduate students (master's and doctoral) from other universities who wish to visit in order to undertake research. Visiting graduate research students will typically work under the supervision of a professor at SFU. For the application process, visit the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website.
If you are a faculty member interested in sponsoring a visiting graduate research student, please contact the Graduate Chair.