- About FASS
Departments and Programs
- Applied legal studies
- Cognitive science
- Indigenous Languages
- French Cohort
- Gender, sexuality, and women's studies
- Global Asia
- Graduate liberal studies
- Hellenic studies
- Indigenous studies
- International studies
- Labour studies
- Political science
- Public policy
- Social data analytics
- Urban studies
- World languages & literatures
- Departments and programs (redirect)
- Faculty & staff portal
- FASS at Surrey
- Make meaning
Explore the English language’s fundamental role in shaping the world and our experience of it. Sharpen your critical thinking skills and discover what interests and opportunities lie in wait for you. Be supported by a world-class faculty of award-winning authors and writers: the faculty in the Department of English have won more teaching awards than any other department at Simon Fraser University.
Study English and understand its power and its fundamental role in shaping the world and our experience of it. Develop analytical and critical thinking abilities and rhetorical skills that transfer readily to your career of choice.
Learn from faculty that have won more teaching awards than any department at SFU and have demonstrated disproportionately high research productivity in the authoring and editing of scholarly books and articles. The world-class faculty in the Department of English also includes award-winning authors in fiction, poetry, and drama, including acclaimed Canadian author David Chariandy.
The Department of English offers a number of opportunites to enrich learning for students:
- Field schools in France and the U.K.
- Certificates in creative writing, performance studies, and writing and rhetoric
- Joint majors with communications, humanities, French literature, history, and gender, sexuality, and women’s studies
- Ever-expanding co-op opportunities
- A vibrant honours experience
- Extensive courses to cover a wide variety of student interests, from classical rhetoric to contemporary poetry
SFU English alumni have gone on to enjoy vibrant careers in a variety of fields. The Department of English has also created the English Network, a job and networking resource where SFU English students can connect with alumni and build relationships.
- Social work
- Communications and marketing
Join FASS in Fall 2021
Deadline January 31, 2021.