- About FASS
- Departments and programs
- Prospective Students
- Undergraduate Students
- Advising and Resources
- Connect with Arts Central
- Plan your Program
- Student Life
- Enhance your learning
- FASS Forward
- FASS 200-1 Writing Right: Strategies for effective revision
- FASS 204-1 Communicating in Conflict and Negotiation
- FASS 207-1 Cultural Humility: Understanding Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- FASS 208-1 Introduction to Personal Financial Planning for Students
- FASS 210-1 Language Network Science
- FASS 211-1 Data Literacy and the City
- Undergraduate Students
Faculty member resources
- Find funding
- Apply for funding
- Manage funding
- Frequently asked questions
- Research centres & institutes
- Visualizing FASS Research
- Faculty member resources
- Faculty & staff portal
- FASS at Surrey
- Make meaning
- Next steps for new students
Next steps for new students
Welcome to the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS)!
Your FASS Next Steps event schedule
You can also find all of these at the main SFU page for new undergraduates. We've compiled them here for your convenience!
We are here to support you
Meet your FASS Year One advisors.
Join your departmental student union (DSU)
Departmental student unions are student-run groups that organize social, academic and career-related events. You automatically belong to the FASS Student Union (Society for Arts and Social Sciences) and the Departmental Student Union for your intended major and/or minor department.
Go to the bottom of the page at sfusass.com to sign up to join the SASS Discord! Then stay on that page to find your DSU, follow them on social media, and learn how to get involved in upcoming, virtual social events.
What's next after Next Steps?
Now that you're settled in, it's time to start planning your studies. You came to FASS at SFU because we have the largest number of departments and you have a lot of questions!
Is one of your questions here?
What is FASS?
- The largest faculty at SFU. We offer 23 undergraduate departments, schools and programs and 1,200 courses.
- A fascinating mix of study areas. While fields in the arts and social sciences are distinct, they often overlap and complement each other.
- A world of possibilities. Explore your interests and discover new passions with no limitations.
- A pathway to success in life. We believe that interdisciplinary study prepares you for the complexities of life beyond university.
Why study in FASS?
From gender studies to history to political science to psychology to sociology and beyond, FASS gives students access to the education and tools you desire to answer your questions.
Choose FASS to provide grounding and confidence in your decision making, daily lives, career choices, and future.
Below are four of our most popular and sought-after areas of study at FASS. For even more, visit our YouTube page.
What do students have to say about FASS?
Our students are change-makers. They say that they've sharpened their critical thinking and came out of our programs more resilient, and equipped for their dream careers and lives. Here are some stories you can read to learn about their experiences first hand.