Undergraduate Students

Loans: BC Residents (Part-Time)

Undergraduate students who are enrolled in 3 – 8 units at SFU exclusively are considered to be studying part-time. Note: students with a recognized permanent disability (who have been approved through StudentAid BC) who are enrolled in a minimum of 6 units per term can be considered to be studying full-time; to discuss your options, please contact us.

Part-Time Student Funding (SABC)

StudentAid BC (SABC) assists eligible BC residents with part-time student financial assistance. Explore part-time student funding to learn more about eligibility requirements and how much funding is available to support part-time studies.

The assessment for part-time students is different than for full-time students. The part-time studies program only covers: tuition and supplemental fees, books and supplies, transportation, and child care up to the funding maximums.  Part-time funding does not cover student living expenses.

If you are enrolled in more than 8 units, see the BC Residents (Full-Time) section. If you are enrolled in less than 3 units, you are ineligible for government student loan funding.

SFU Financial Aid and Awards has received confirmation from StudentAid BC that we are able to receive the Part-Time Studies application by email.


Intersession 2023 Application:
[if enrolled in Intersession classes only]
May 15, 2023, 3:30pm PST

Summer 2023 Application:
*July 14, 2023, 3:30pm PST

*These deadlines are provided as guidance for standard study periods (Fall, Spring and Summer). If you are taking Intersession or Summer Session courses only, please check in with us.

How to apply

Download the application form, read through all information below, and email your completed and signed application to our office (fiassist@sfu.ca).

Important details before submitting your application

  • Submit your application after your courseload is fully finalized (i.e. you will no longer be adding/dropping/swapping classes).  Waitlisted classes do not count into one's courseload.
  • If you are enrolled in Co-Op, you are considered a full-time student, and are not eligible for part-time funding.  
  • Some programs are ineligible for StudentAid BC funding, please see: Ineligible Undergraduate Programs to ensure your program is eligible.

When completing your application

  • You may indicate your SIN as 999 999 999 on the application for security purposes, however, make sure your correct SIN is updated on go.sfu.ca under Personal Information.  If not, we cannot process your application.
  • If your citizen status is Permanent Resident, include a copy of your PR card (front and back) with your application.  If not, we cannot process your application.
  • Errors or omissions will delay processing, review your application for completion and accuracy, including signatures and dates, before submitting it.
  • Save your application (preferably) as one file
  • If you cannot electronically sign your application; we suggest printing page 7 of the application form, hand-signing it, and scanning/taking a photo of the page.  You may submit that page as a separate attachment, along with your completed application form.  We can open a variety of file extensions, though standard PDF, document and/or image files are preferred.
  • Email your completed application, along with any attachments (i.e. PR card) if required, to Financial Aid & Awards from your SFU email account.  Include your full name, student number in the email.   Our email address is: fiassist@sfu.ca
  • Monitor your postal mailbox (for your StudentAid BC notice of assessment) and email (email from NSLSC on how to process your Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA)) for updates on your application, and instructions on how to proceed to receive your funds.  Failure to follow these instructions to complete your MSFAA will result in you not receiving part-time funding.


Please note: Government-issued student financial assistance, including loans and grants, is available to Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents, or students that have protected person status based on your province of residence. US Residents can be considered for US Federal Direct Funding and other targeted resources. If you belong to a different student group, please see our International Students page.