- Contact Us
- See a Doctor
- Get Support
- Find Resources
- What's Happening
- Faculty & Staff
Join Health & Counselling and SFSS Out On Campus for the Spring 2021 series of LGBTQIA2S+ Radical Self-Care Groups!
What is LGBTQIA2S+ Radical Self-Care Groups?
LGBTQIA2S+ Radical Self-Care Groups is a support group for SFU's queer communities, hosted in collaboration with SFSS Out On Campus.
But what is 'radical self-care'?
Queer writer Audre Lorde puts it best: "Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare". This could mean:
- Taking care of your needs before others' - you can't pour from an empty glass!
- Nurturing your self-worth, beyond what others see in you
- Finding personal fulfilment away from consumerism
- Practicing self-compassion and being kind to oneself
- Accepting yourself, with all your complexity, messiness, and flaws
- Being sustainable with your resources and being considerate towards yourself
- Learning to love yourself unconditionally
How does LGBTQIA2S+ Radical Self-Care Groups work?
We'll be tackling some big topics, sharing and listening, and forging genuine connections through our shared experiences right now. By the end, you'll walk away with some different perspectives on group topics, a growing sense of self-compassion, and new skills to add to your self-care 'toolkit'!
These groups are not intended to be a therapeutic space, though you may find them to be similarly beneficial.
Register for this program via Eventbrite in the Upcoming Session section. Registration has closed.
Fall 2021 Schedule
Sessions will be held via Zoom.
Check out Upcoming Session for any updated times or changes to the sessions.
Coordinator for SFSS Out On Campus
Ashley is the Coordinator for SFSS Out On Campus, the LGBTQ+ resource centre. He has been volunteering and working in queer organisations and academic research for the past 10 years, focusing on various issues such as prejudice, sexual health, and community-building.