- About Us
- Faisal Beg – Algorithms to Advance Research in Medicine
- Yasutaka Furukawa – Smart Building Technologies to Enhance Living Spaces and Create Opportunities
- Mo Chen – AI to Create Safe and Practical Robotics
- Sheelagh Carpendale – Understanding Data Through Interaction and Visualization
- Innovation to Improve 3D Navigation
- Voice AI is Helping Shoppers Make Better Decisions
- Geographic Information Science Can Help Better Track COVID-19
- Deep Learning to Inform Medical Diagnoses
- Protecting Killer Whales from Marine Traffic
- Using Big Data to Boost Athletic Performance
- Machine Reading for Literary Texts
- Finding a Cure for HIV with Big Data
- Linked Data for Women's History
- How Big Data Can Combat Fake News
- Algorithms for Safer Streets
- Discovering Wilde Data
- Deep Blue Data
- Big Data Meets Big Impact
- Previous Next Big Question Fund Projects
- Data Fellowships
- Using Data
- Avoid and Detect
- Data For Good
- Artificial Intelligence at SFU
- Cybersecurity and Resilience
- Security and Resilience
- Gender Gap Tracker
- Upcoming Events
SFU Big Data Infrastructure
As the world's problems become more nuanced and complex, tap into a dedicated resource to help accelerate your research
SFU researchers can now access a set of free, dedicated services that provide a transformative way to solve complex problems and analyze data at blazing-fast speeds. With 30TB of free, high-performance storage that is integrated with Supercomputer Cedar, you can prototype and scale up your research seamlessly.
Expand your data-intensive research and find a faster and more powerful way to uncover new insights. Email email@example.com to accelerate your research with this free, dedicated resource.
30TB Free, High-Performance Storage
Faculty members get 30TB of free, high-performance storage, which can be shared with their research group. Storage is directly accessible from either the interactive cluster or Supercomputer Cedar, which means you can seamlessly access Cedar as your projects grows. Faculty members can access this storage without using the interactive cluster or Cedar.
Seamlessly Expand Your Work
Seamless integration with Supercomputer Cedar gives you the ability to effortlessly scale and expand your research or application. The interactive cluster and Supercomputer Cedar use the same familiar interface, which means you can dive straight in and expand your research or launch your application with ease.
Designed For SFU Researchers
Easily test applications on a dedicated, interactive big data cluster only accessible to SFU researchers. This allows for fast prototyping and agile development on infrastructure designed for research.
Storage Allocation Model
SFU Faculty members will receive 30TB of high-performance storage with a high-throughput connection to computation and includes backup copy. This storage can be shared with faculty member’s research group. Faculty members can access this storage without using the interactive cluster or Cedar.
Additional storage may be purchased for $200/TB, which is provided for five years and includes backup copy.
Dedicated Big Data Cluster Allocation Model
The dedicated big data cluster is designed to support rapid prototyping of data-intensive work, at a smaller scale than the Supercomputer Cedar.
It features a standard login and processing, and offers popular interfaces like Hadoop and Spark. The allocation model for the resource is based on interactive use, and will be adjusted according to demand.
Benefits of the interactive big data cluster
- Map-reduce programming model offers a simplified approach to store, access and distribute large datasets across multiple servers
- Spark allows you to process large data sets ideal for machine learning and graph algorithms. Spark also includes Spark SQL, which helps extract valuable information from large datasets by executing SQL queries on distributed datasets
- Utilize machine learning, natural language processing and graph workloads
- Interactive cluster powered by Hadoop, an open-source distributed processing framework that supports big data tools