Undergraduate Scholars Entrance Scholarships (USES)
The terms of reference below apply to:
- Undergraduate Scholars Entrance Scholarship (International and Domestic)
- Undergraduate Scholars Entrance Scholarship with Distinction (International and Domestic)
- The Darcy and Karina Biagioni Family Scholarship
- The Shein and Amynmohamed Rajan Family Undergraduate Entrance Scholarship in Computing Science (awarded Fall 2023 onward)
- Surrey Close to Home Entrance Scholarship
To receive the first payment, your final grades must meet the academic requirements to maintain admission to your primary program of study for the Fall term, and you must be enrolled in and complete a minimum of 12 SFU standard graded units.
Entrance Scholarship recipients whose admission evaluation on final grades does not demonstrate a minimum score of 90% in courses required for their primary program or 31 IB points will be contacted by the Financial Aid and Awards office for additional requirements.
Predicted bonus points are not considered in the calculation.
If you enroll in 3 to 11 SFU standard graded units in your first term, your scholarship will automatically be deferred to the next term. To be eligible for your first payment in the following term, you must meet the renewal cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 2.00 on your first term marks and enroll in at least 12 SFU standard graded units in the following term. You will become ineligible for entrance scholarship funding if you do not attain a minimum 2.00 CGPA in your first term.
To receive the second payment, you must achieve a minimum CGPA of 2.00 at the end of your first term, and be enrolled in and complete a minimum of 12 SFU standard graded units.
Payment Three, Onwards:
To receive the third payment and all subsequent payments, you must have a minimum CGPA of 3.00, and be enrolled in and complete a minimum of 12 SFU standard graded units per term.
The number of terms each scholarship needs to be claimed within is listed below:
- Undergraduate Scholars Entrance Scholarship ($20,000): 18 terms or 6 years
- Undergraduate Scholars Entrance Scholarship with Distinction (~$27,000/~$130,000): 21 terms or 7 years
- The Darcy and Karina Biagioni Family Scholarship ($50,000): 18 terms or 6 years
- The Shein and Amynmohamed Rajan Family Undergraduate Entrance Scholarship in Computing Science ($40,000): 18 terms or 6 years
- Surrey Close to Home Entrance Scholarship ($20,000): 18 terms or 6 years
During the terms when you meet the CGPA requirements and:
- do not register in classes, your scholarship will be automatically deferred to a future term when you meet eligibility criteria again.
- register in less than 12 SFU standard graded units, your scholarship will be deferred to a future term when you meet eligibility criteria again. Your academic performance for those SFU units will be reviewed when assessing your eligibility for your future entrance scholarship payments, whether you received a payment or not.
If your CGPA is less than 2.00, your scholarship will be permanently cancelled.
If your CGPA is 2.00-2.99, you will not be eligible for scholarship payments. Once your CGPA reaches 3.00 or higher while within the term tenure of your scholarship, your scholarship payments will resume.
Students eligible for an SFU Employee Tuition Waiver
If you received the Undergraduate Scholars Entrance Scholarship with Distinction, which specifically covers your tuition and supplementary mandatory fees you will unfortunately not be able to combine the scholarship and the SFU Employee Tuition Waiver. This is based on a University policy that is attached to the SFU Employee Tuition Waiver. Therefore, it would be in your best interest to forego the waiver in the academic terms in which you meet the scholarship eligibility requirements and receive a scholarship payment, as the entrance scholarship funding also covers certain fees not applicable with the tuition waiver. However, you can use the employee tuition waiver in academic terms where you do NOT receive an entrance scholarship payment.
If you received the Undergraduate Scholars Entrance Scholarship, valued at $20,000, the entrance scholarship payment will be applied to your student account first. If your tuition fees exceed the value of your scholarship payment, the SFU Employee Tuition Waiver can be applied against any remaining tuition fee charges only.
If you received any other university-funded entrance financial aid which does not indicate that it specifically covers tuition fees, the SFU Employee Tuition Waiver can be combined with your entrance financial aid.
For information on what is covered by your funding, and further details about your entrance scholarship, please visit the FAQ webpage.