- Preparing for graduate studies
- Get Involved
- Drop-in workshops
- Mini course
- Awards & funding
- Herbert G. Grubel Award
- James Dean Award
- Lang Wong Memorial Endowment Scholarship
- Meiyu Li Memorial Scholarship in Economics
- Peter Kennedy Memorial Graduate Entrance Scholarship in Economics
- Peter Kennedy Memorial Graduate Fellowship
- Richard G. Lipsey Award
- Terry Heaps Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award
- Shiva and Elizabeth Nanda Graduate Fellowship in Economics
- Shiva and Elizabeth Nanda Graduate Scholarship in Economics
- Job market candidates
- Graduate student profiles
- Student publications
- Department Login
2020 Year in Review
As we celebrate the start of the new year and a new semester, the Department of Economics looks back at some of the highlights of 2020.
SFU Economics was first established as the Department of Economics and Commerce when the University opened in 1965. Since then, the Department has adapted, grown and flourished.
Since 2000, SFU Economics has held strong on its ranking as one of the top three economics departments in Canada and among the top 100 globally.
SOCIAL DATA ANALYTICS MINOR
2020 saw the launch of the new social data analytics (SDA) minor, jointly organized by the Departments of Economics, Linguistics, Philosophy and Political Science.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
Professor Krishna Pendakur and associate professor Chris Bidner whose projects have been awarded Social Sciences and Humanities Council (SSHRC) Insight Grants for 2020.
RESEARCH AND SEMINARS
COVID-19 RELATED RESEARCH
By professor Alexander Karaivanov, associate professor Hitoshi Shigeoka, associate professor Shih En Lu, Cong Chen, and Stephanie Pamplona
By assistant professor Kevin Schnepel
By associate professor Lucas Herrenbrueck