- News & events
- About us
- Student Commons
- Contact us
- Somers Research Group
- Faculty and Staff Resources
- Next Steps
- Incoming Students
- Spring 2020 Convocation
- The Roundtable
- Conversion Therapy Survey
- Fall 2020 Convocation
- RESET Team
- Spring 2021 Convocation
- Planetary Health Research Group
Graduate Student Knowledge Dissemination Support Application Form
Value: one award per degree program of up to $600
Full-time master's or doctoral student in the Faculty of Health Sciences at the time of application and during the term of the award.
MPH student graduate fellowship
Fall application deadline: May
1. Be an MPH student registered full-time (not on-leave or part-time) during the term that you will hold the award.
2. Be in the second or third term of your MPH at the time of the nomination.
3. Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.67 at the time of the application.
4. Be nominated by an instructor or faculty member for outstanding work/achievement in a class, project or special accomplishment. Calls will go out to instructors to nominate students. If you are nominated for this award, you will be contacted to complete an application.
Internal and Donor Funded Awards
SFU’s list of Internal and Donor funded awards available to FHS students. Click on the award name to read more about the award, including full SFU eligibility and requirements. See below for any awards that have additional FHS requirements.
Graduate Fellowship (GF) additional eligibility and requirements for students in FHS:
- To be eligible to apply for a graduate fellowship in the bi-annual competition you must be in the MSc or PHD program, or be an MPH student completing a thesis in the MPH program. For MPH GF, see the FHS awards section of this webpage.
- Students holding major scholarships/fellowships equal to or exceeding $30,000/year are eligible for a maximum of one full competitive GF (equivalent to $7000) per year.
- There is a yearly maximum of $14,000 for all Graduate Fellowship funding set by SFU, which includes GF contributions that are part of guaranteed funding for MSc/PhD.
- Please read the FHS Terms of Reference carefully for full requirements
Travel Awards are primarily intended to support the travel component of the scholarly activity of graduate students related to their research. Graduate programs are encouraged to promote and enhance their students' graduate experience by supporting their attendance and active participation in conferences in their field of study through the use of these funds. Direct costs of doing research may also be supported.
SFU External and Government Funded Awards
External and Government Awards are funded through private, provincial, or federal sources. The application process for these may differ but in most cases students use the granting agency application or application system. Students can compete for external awards before they enter the program, and during their studies. There are strict SFU internal deadlines for some awards.
Thesis Dissertation Awards and Convocation Medals
There are several awards to recognize students who are graduating with an outstanding thesis dissertation at the master's and doctoral levels.
Bursaries and student loans
Bursaries and student loans for all students are administered by SFU's Financial Aid and Awards Office.
Graduate students enrolled full-time
Minimum 3.00 CGPA
Demonstrated financial need
Childcare bursaries are available to graduate students who hold current appointments as a Teaching Assistant, Tutor Marker or Sessional Instructor, and are members of the Teaching Support Staff Union (TSSU).
TD Bank Financial Group graduate bursary endowments for health sciences
The TD Bank Financial Group supports Canadian students through bursaries—especially in the area of health education. Criteria for this award are:
Registered in a graduate program in the Faculty of Health Sciences at SFU
Demonstrated financial need
How to apply: reach out to Awards and Financial Aid for Graduate Students or contact Financial Assistance at email@example.com. The awards will be adjudicated by the Senate Undergraduate Awards Adjudication Committee.