- News & events
- About us
- Student Commons
- Contact us
- Somers Research Group
- Faculty and Staff Resources
- Next Steps
- Incoming Students
- Spring 2020 Convocation
- The Roundtable
- Conversion Therapy Survey
- Fall 2020 Convocation
- RESET Team
- Spring 2021 Convocation
Even though we have to be physically apart, we can still celebrate the achievements of our graduating students, and all that they have accomplished together.
Congratulations to you the Faculty of Health Sciences graduates of 2021. This significant milestone belongs to you but also to those who have supported you through your time with us: your families, your friends. Please take time to thank them in the virtual world.
I'm sorry that we can’t all be together on the Burnaby campus at this time but just remember wherever you are, this is your day. I hope I will see you walk across the stage at a future in-person convocation.
I'm proud that your interdisciplinary training in Health Sciences brings deep knowledge of all aspects of the COVID-19 Pandemic from the molecular to the societal level.
The current vaccine rollout is the result of coordinated research, logistics and communications efforts, but we need to do better.
With the knowledge you have gained, I hope that you will join in the effort to address what the World Health Organization has termed the “Infodemic”, accelerated and amplified by the spread of disinformation and deliberate misinformation for political and financial gain on social media.
You understand the racial, social and economic inequities made transparent by the Pandemic; and potential for policy and structural solution spaces.
The pandemic will not be brought under control until there is global access to vaccines and health care as well as social conditions that enable individuals to keep themselves and their loved ones safe.
So take your health sciences knowledge into the world change it for the better, keep a commitment to social justice and remember who the real heroes.
Dean, Faculty of Health Sciences
Convocation Stories and Award Recipients
Engaged MSc graduand awarded 2021 Graduate Dean’s Convocation Medal
MSc graduand Marco Zenone has been awarded the 2021 Graduate Dean’s Convocation Medal. learn more →
Passion for scientific discovery leads to Dean’s Convocation Medal for BSc graduand
Signe MacLennan, FHS Bachelor of Science graduand, has been awarded the 2021 Dean’s Convocation Medal learn more →
FHS graduand reflects on her instrumental role supporting SFU students
From being a student mentor to the SFSS President, Osob Mohamed has been an essential figure in student-centered support. learn more →
FHS graduands promote road safety for newcomer youth
FHS graduands Hanah Damot and JV Flores are working on a project in the City of Surrey to engage newcomer youth with arts-based workshops and road safety. learn more →
2021 Graduate Convocation Awards
Six FHS graduate students received Convocation Awards during the Spring 2021 celebrations learn more →
- Dean’s Graduate Convocation Medal: Marco Zenone
- Dean’s Undergraduate Convocation Medal: Signe MacLennan
- 2020-21 Janes Corbett Community Health Practice Awards: Michael Owusu Budu
- 2020-21 Janes Corbett Community Health Practice Awards: Daksha Jadhav
- 2020-21 Donor Awards -Judy Graves Graduate Award: Hasham Kamran
- 2020-21 Donor Awards - Judy Graves Graduate Award & 2020-21 Janes Corbett Community Health Practice Award: Angel Kennedy
- 2020-21 Janes Corbett Community Health Practice Awards: Chae Rim Lee
- 2020 CERi GF (Fall Cycle): Joseph Ssendikaddiwa
- FHS Award for Citizenship and Exemplary Academic Performance: Amanda Janes
- FHS Award for Outstanding Service to the Faculty of Health Sciences: Aleisha Fernandes
- FHS Award for Outstanding Community Service: Osob Mohamed and Jasjot Deol
- FHS Award for Extraordinary Achievement: Maggie Duncan
- FHS Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement, BSc: Signe MacLennan
- FHS Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement, BA: Sandy Lau
Best Advice and Congratulatory Messages
The 2021 graduating class provided some pieces of advice they hope their fellow students can keep in mind, as well as congratulatory messages for the FHS community. View them here.
T I L