Academic advising

Speak to an advisor

The undergraduate advisors are on hand to advise students on a range of topics, including checking you’re on track to graduate and help with academic difficulties.

Due to COVID-19, all in-person advising has been suspended. Advising will be conducted primarily through email. Please ensure that all emails include your full name, student number, and advising transcript, along with your question. Please anticipate a slight delay in response time as the volume of requests is currently high.

If you have completed up to 60 units of course work, please send your email to Undergraduate Advisor Ben Lee (

If you have completed more than 60 units of course work, please send your email to Undergraduate Advisor Steve O’Reilly (

If your query cannot be handled through email, and you need to speak with an advisor over the phone, please email the appropriate advisor to set up a phone appointment.

Drop-in advising

Advising Schedule

For students who have completed 0-60 units, your available drop-in advising session will be with Ben Lee at the following times:

  • Tuesday 10:00AM - 12:30PM
  • Tuesday 2:30PM - 4:30PM

For students who have completed more than 60 units, your available drop-in advising session will be with Steve O’Reilly at the following time:

  • Wednesdays 1:30PM - 3:30PM

Please review the details below on what to expect:

Advising on Zoom

The Zoom links have been sent to your SFU email. If you have not received the Zoom links, please email the appropriate advisor (Steve or Ben).

Waiting room

When you join a drop-in session, you will be queued in a waiting room in order of arrival. Please remain in the queue and the meeting host will let you into the session for individual advising. Should you leave the waiting room for any reason, you will lose your position in the queue.

Peak hours

Drop-in advising is designed for quick questions that can be answered in a timely fashion. Examples of “quick questions” include declaring your BSc concentration, course enrollment issues, pre-requisite waivers, and course conflicts.  

Drop-in sessions are not designed for detailed graduation/progress checks and course planning. Students who attend drop-in advising seeking a detailed assessment on their degree progress or course planning will be turned away, as students should be making contact via email for this type of assistance.

If you are experiencing academic difficulty, please contact the appropriate advisor (Steve or Ben) via email to set up a more individualized appointment for you.

During peak hours, drop-in sessions will be kept to a maximum of 5 minutes so as to accommodate as many students as possible. There may also be a longer queue in the waiting room


How do I declare a major or minor in Health Sciences?

Students require a CGPA of 2.5 and the following three courses to declare a major or a minor in Health Sciences:

  • HSCI 130
  • HSCI 100 or BISC 101
  • a 200 level HSCI course

Courses in progress will not be considered. After the course and GPA requirements are met, please book an appointment with the advisor to declare a major or minor in Health Sciences. There are no deadlines. Students can declare a major as soon they have satisfied the requirements listed above.

Why can't I get into an upper division HSCI course?

All 300 and 400 level HSCI courses are reserved for Health Sciences majors during the first three weeks of enrollment. At the end of the three week period (open enrollment), any student can enroll in the class if they have the prerequisites and if there is space remaining in the course.