Undergraduate admissions

How to apply for an undergraduate program in SFU’s Faculty of Health Sciences

Application deadlines

Admission for:

Application period:

Fall 2020 October 1 – January 31
Summer 2020 October 1 – January 31
Spring 2020 August 1 – September 15 

Steps to apply

We’re thrilled that you’ve decided to study Health Sciences at SFU. There are two steps to begin your application.

  1. Check that you fulfill our admission requirements. You must meet requirements for both SFU and the Faculty of Health Sciences. Please note that requirements for our BA and BSc programs are different.

  2. Submit your online application.

All applications at SFU are handled by Student Services and the admitting faculty for the program. For more information on programs and applications, please visit the Student Services website.

An application fee of $79.50 is payable by credit card online. Once you have been accepted, an additional fee is required to hold your place ($250 for Canadian students; $750 for international students).

Admissions and transfers

SFU is a competitive school, and we use a comprehensive approach to evaluate admissions. The best way to raise your chances of admission is to make sure you meet all the requirements before applying.

All courses at SFU are taught in English. Prospective students must meet a minimum requirement for English language comprehension before being accepted.

Learn more about admission requirements >>

What to expect when applying from outside of British Columbia

Are students from out-of-province or from outside Canada required to have health insurance?

Yes. All students are required to have medical insurance. Health services in Canada can be very expensive if you don’t have complete medical coverage. There are two levels of medical insurance coverage in Canada: primary and secondary medical insurance. Together, these plans work to help you avoid unexpected health costs. For more information, please visit SFU’s comprehensive medical insurance website.

Can international students get a job while studying at SFU?

Yes. International students with valid study permits can obtain employment. There are various employment options available. However, a Social Insurance Number (SIN) is required. Eligible students may apply for an SIN at a Service Canada office.

Learn more

Is housing available on campus?

Yes. SFU Residence and Housing manage all student residences on campus. Residences include dormitories, family apartments, townhouses, towers and a dining facility.

If I live off campus, will I need a car to get to the university?

No. From SFU, students can access the city of Vancouver, North Burnaby, Coquitlam and New Westminster using public and rapid transit (Bus and SkyTrain). To help keep student transportation costs to a minimum, SFU has a U-PASS program that gives you access to area transit facilities: you can enroll with your name, photo and an indication of your enrollment status. The program is available to all eligible SFU students and provides unlimited, all zone access to public transit in Metro Vancouver (the GVRD), including unlimited access to TransLink Bus (including Community Shuttles and West Vancouver Blue Buses), SkyTrain and SeaBus services (all zones) and discounts on West Coast Express Train fares.

What kind of services can I expect from the library?

The SFU Library is dedicated to providing access to collections, services and facilities in support of the teaching, learning and research goals of the SFU community.

For more information, consult the International Student welcome guides.

College transfer (BC colleges)

To transfer from another BC college, you must have successfully completed a minimum of 24 credits. For BSc applicants, this must include one transferable math course, or evidence of a senior level high school math course. See admission requirements for more information.

We recommend all BC college transfers BA or BSc programs to complete the following courses prior to transfer:

  • Introduction to Statistics: STATS 201 or STATS 203

  • A lower division transferrable writing-intensive course

  • Human Biology: BISC 101 (or HSCI 100 for BA majors only, if available)

  • Introduction to Sociology or Introduction to Anthropology: SA 101 or SA 150 (for BA majors only)

  • Calculus I (MATH 154) and CHEM 121 (BSc majors only)

  • Other courses that would transfer to match the lower division requirements for the Health Sciences major

A list of transferable courses from BC colleges is available from BC Transfer Guide. Courses not listed are non-transferable.

College transfer (outside BC)

At SFU, we support the Pan-Canadian Protocol on transferability of first and second year courses from any recognized Canadian university.

For full guidelines, please consult our admissions advice.

To receive transfer credit, detailed course outlines for each course need to be submitted. The process of assigning transfer credit can take up to 8 weeks. For more information, visit the student admissions page for newly admitted transfer students.

After you’ve applied

Learn more about the next steps in the admission process by visiting the Student Services website

How can I submit official documents?

All documents must be original, hard copies. Electronic transcripts will be accepted from a limited number of institutions. Please see the documents page for more information. Full guidelines for supporting documentation are available on the documents page.

How do I know if my documents have been received?

Documents that have been received and/or processed will have been checked off on your Student Centre To-Do List on goSFU. During busy times, this may take 1-2 weeks.

Why are you asking for my high school transcript? (Fraser International College students only)

All students must meet SFU's minimum English Language Requirement and Quantitative Requirement which can be met through your high school coursework. If you are already meeting these requirements through FIC, please contact us.

Why are you asking for my final FIC transcript? (Fraser International College students only)

It is very likely you are not currently admissible based on your official interim grades. We will review your final grades in order to make a final admission decision.

What do I do if I can’t access my goSFU account?

If you have forgotten your password, get in touch. Our Registrar and Information Services office will be happy to assist you.

Email: reginfo@sfu.ca
Phone: 778-782-6930

When will I receive an application status update?

Once you have submitted all of your required documents, it can take some time for our Admissions team to thoroughly evaluate your application. Application status updates will appear on your Student Center (goSFU):

  • Spring term (January): Admission offers are made from September to November.

  • Summer term (May): Admission offers are made from October to April.

  • Fall term (September): Admission offers are made from January to June.

How do I self-report my grades? (BC high school applicants only)

Log into your account on goSFU and select the "Self-Reported Grades" link at the  bottom of the screen. For detailed information on how/what to self-report for admission, please visit the student admissions page.

How can I review my transfer credits?

Transfer credits are processed at the point of admission.

Once you are accepted

Welcome to SFU! It's time to get started on planning your degree.

How do I set up my Computing ID and SFU email?

After paying your admission deposit, you will receive an email sent to your non-SFU email address indicating that your SFU computing ID is ready for online activation. All computing IDs, for a given term, are issued at the same time.

This email will be sent on the following schedule:

  • September start date: Email sent mid-June
  • January start date: Email sent mid-October
  • May start date: Email sent mid-February

If you confirm your offer of admission after the scheduled issue date, you will be sent an email within 5 days of paying your deposit.

When do I enroll in classes?

Check on goSFU for enrollment dates for your classes. Please see the enrollment page for more information.

When do classes start? When is tuition due?

Full information can be found on the academic dates page by selecting the appropriate term.

How do I speak to an advisor?

Admissions advising is available via email or in person.

How do I register for Welcome Day (orientation)?

You don't need to pre-register for Welcome Day. Bring your 9-digit student number and let them know at check in that you are from the faculty of Health Sciences when you check in in the morning. To see when your Welcome Day is, check out the new undergraduates page.

Can I change my program?

Program changes are subject to deadline. The same process is used for changing program or declaring your major.

How do I defer to a later term?

Admission deferrals are available for up to one year after your original admission date. To defer your course, please submit the deferral request form. Deferrals for Scholarships, Awards and Bursaries will be considered on a case-by-case basis.