Associate Professor, Faculty of Health Sciences
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: 778-782-8873
- Office: BLU 10504
- LL.B. (Bachelor of Laws) Law and Economics, Keele University
- M.Sc. Health Economics, University of York
- Ph.D. Primary Care Sciences (specialization in Health Economics), Keele University
Dr. Whitehurst is an economist who has specialized in the areas of health and health care throughout his career. Prior to his initial SFU appointment as Assistant Professor in June 2012, he has held research positions at the Universities of British Columbia (Postdoctoral Fellow), Birmingham (United Kingdom (UK); Research Fellow) and Keele (UK; Research Associate, Research Assistant). Formal training in economics and health economics was undertaken in the UK, at Keele University (Ph.D.; LL.B. Law & Economics) and the University of York (M.Sc. Health Economics).
Broadly, Dr. Whitehurst’s research interests and expertise focus on preference-based measures of quality of life and wellbeing suitable for use in health economic evaluation. The concepts of health state description and valuation, accessibility and comparability of alternative measurement instruments, and the application of economic evaluation techniques alongside clinical intervention studies have been common themes throughout his career. Musculoskeletal conditions provided the clinical context of much of his early-career research in the UK, which resulted in publication in leading international peer-reviewed journals for both methodological (e.g. Medical Decision Making, Value in Health) and applied (e.g. The Lancet, Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, Annals of Family Medicine) studies. Current research projects cover areas such as home care services for seniors, spinal cord injury, aphasia, and neurodevelopmental disorders.
In addition to research, Dr. Whitehurst has a keen interest in teaching the economics of health and health care and has extensive experience as a lecturer, supervisor and coordinator within undergraduate and graduate courses. In the Faculty of Health Sciences undergraduate and graduate teaching programs, Dr. Whitehurst designed the first courses dedicated to the economics of health and health care. These courses began in 2013 (HSCI 306 & HSCI 808).
Publications and Activities
View Dr. Whitehurst's publications here.
- Impacts of City-Wide Bicycle Infrastructure Investment on Population Health & Health Equity
- Best at Home: prevention through active engagement. Community Action Initiative
- Does spinal cord injury have a distinct impact on secondary health outcomes compared with other neurological conditions?
- Delivery of self management through a peer-support telehealth intervention in patients with cardiovascular disease
- Seamless care through technology: a focus on brain vitality
- Integrating a quality of life assessment and practice supporty system in homecare services for older adults with life-limiting illness and their families