Welcome to the Faculty of Science
The use of face coverings will be required outside of individual offices or labs in all Faculty of Science buildings – this includes bathrooms, hallways, stairwells, elevators, and all common spaces. Face coverings include surgical masks, cloth masks, scarves, or bandanas, as per the BC Center for Disease Control.
- Most classes will continue to be delivered through remote methods in the fall term.
- If allowed by government and health authorities, and provided that personal health and safety can be maintained, we will open selected courses for in-person instructional activities where the learning objectives cannot easily be replicated through remote instruction.
- Some co-curricular and extra-curricular programing (co-op and recreation, for example) may proceed on an in-person basis.
- We will ensure that remote learning and teaching provides a high-quality experience, and ensure that students who expect to graduate in the 2020/2021 academic year are able to meet their degree requirements.
- We will continue to enhance remote learning support for students and instructors.
- We will look at ways to simplify and/or streamline academic requirements to enable students to progress through their programs more easily.
- Student supports and services will continue to be delivered remotely, with some services offered in-person, subject to health and safety guidelines.
Young investigator award bestowed on Physics prof. October 21, 2020
David Sivak is awarded the 2021 Young Investigator's Award from the Biophysical Society of Canada
Abundance of salmon key to feeding 'underdog' stream fishes: SFU research September 23, 2020
Researchers from Simon Fraser University’s Salmon Watershed Lab have found when salmon...
Faculty of Science receives over $1M in research funding from Canada Foundation for Innovation September 21, 2020
Funding will support research into leukemia, COVID-19, genetic mutations, cellular imaging and...
Royal Society of Canada honours Faculty of Science researchers September 10, 2020
John Reynolds and Bojan Mohar are named fellows of the Royal Society of Canada
Study suggests sea lice on salmon is under-reported at B.C. salmon farms September 10, 2020
A new study, published this week in Ecological Applications, shows striking evidence that counts of...
Join our Faculty
Click here for more Faculty of Science events.