TA Appointment Information
Required TA Appointments Forms
Once you have been offered a TA appointment, a number of supporting forms must be completed in order for payroll to process your appointment.
All forms should be submitted as PDFs (either scanned or electronically signed; photographs will not be accepted) to firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject "HSCI XXX - TA Appointment Forms" by the appointment acceptance deadline indicated in your offer email.
ALL SFU Teaching Assistants
- Whether you are a new or returning SFU teaching assistant you MUST complete the new TSSU Privacy & Confidentiality Agreement form. This is a new form in 2018, and is required by HR.
Returning SFU Teaching Assistants
- Personal Data Form is only required for returning TAs if your banking information has changed (download this file as it must be opened with Adobe Acrobat Reader, it will not open properly in your browser or other PDF software)
- For appointees who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents, a scanned copy of front & back of your current work or study is also required. PLEASE NOTE: The expiration date on your visa must be after the end date of your TA appointment.
New SFU Teaching Assistants
- Personal Data Form (download this file as it must be opened with Adobe Acrobat Reader, it will not open properly in your browser or other PDF software)
- TSSU Assignment of Wages
- Federal Tax Forms: TD1 Federal Tax Credit | TD1-WS Worksheet Federal Tax Credit
- Provincial Tax Forms: TD1BC Tax Credit | TD1BC-WS Worksheet BC Tax Credit
- International students that hold a study permit must submit a scanned copy of both sides of the study permit. The expiration date on your study permit must be after the appointment dates of this TAship.
- In addition to the scanned copy of the study permit, international students must submit a scanned copy of their Social Insurance Number (SIN) document. The expiry date on the SIN document must be the same as the expiry date on the study permit.
- If you are a permanent resident you must submit a scanned copy of both sides of the permanent resident card.
Workload & Time Use Guidelines
The TSSU collective agreement stipulates that TAs are contracted to work a total of 42 hours per Base Unit (BU). For example, 3.17 Base Units must not exceed 126 hours for the semester to be used for preparation, classroom contact, attendance at lectures, marking, student consultation and meetings with the course supervisor. Note, though, that there are no hours of work associated with the additional 0.17 base units for preparation.
To compensate for all statutory holidays which may occur in a semester, the total workload will be reduced by one point one (1.1) hours for each base unit assigned, excluding the additional 0.17 base unit for preparation, e.g. four point four (4.4) hours reduction for a 4.17 base unit appointment.
The full TSSU collective agreement can be viewed here.
Time use guidelines will be sent to appointed TAs & instructors prior to the beginning of semester.
Pay Advices & Tax Receipts
Pay advices, T4s and T4As are available online.