International student fee policies
International Fees Structure
Fee cohort assignment
Students admitted to SFU after Fall 2017 are assigned a fee cohort based on their first term of enrollment.
Fee cohort duration
A cohort is normally in effect for five academic calendar years (September - August). See "Fee cohort changes" below for exceptions.
|First Enrolled Term at SFU||Cohort group||Cohort expires (last year)|
|Fall 2017||Y001||Summer 2022|
|Spring 2018||Y001||Summer 2022|
|Summer 2018||Y001||Summer 2022|
|Fall 2018||Y002||Summer 2023|
|Spring 2019||Y002||Summer 2023|
|Summer 2019||Y002||Summer 2023|
|Fall 2019||Y003||Summer 2024|
|Spring 2020||Y003||Summer 2024|
|Summer 2020||Y003||Summer 2024|
Fee cohort changes
A student's fee cohort will change if:
- Five academic calendar years have elapsed (September - August); or
- They defer their admission; or
- They reapply to the university after having an academic standing of Required to Withdraw; or
- They reapply to the university after voluntary withdrawal and completing further academic studies at a recognized post-secondary institution during the time of absence; or
- They complete their original program.
International students who obtain Permanent Resident status
If an international student becomes a Permanent Resident within the term he/she is enrolled in, domestic tuition fees will be assessed for that term.
Please note: Permanent Resident status is attained as of the "Became a Permanent Resident on" date, indicated on the "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" document or Permanent Resident Card.