Changing your name


Chosen names, also known as preferred names, are names that individuals choose to use instead of their legal names. Chosen names can be more inclusive than legal names because they allow individuals to use a name that reflects their gender identity, cultural background, personal beliefs, or other aspects of their identity that may not be reflected in their legal name.

SFU acknowledges the importance of chosen first names, especially for transgender, non-binary and/or genderqueer students. We want to ensure we use everyone’s correct names and pronouns, so that individual preferences and identity are respected. For that reason, IT Services is improving the way students choose to identify themselves within the University community using a chosen first name that differs from their official/legal name. 

Your legal name and chosen name are different and used in different ways at SFU. There is a separate process for changing each.

Chosen Names

Students are able to change their chosen first name through the self-serve option in goSFU’s Student Centre. Please note that this modified name will appear on the following unofficial internal university documents:

  • Student ID cards (upon request)
  • Class lists (chosen first name in parentheses)
  • Student Advising Transcripts

When you change only your chosen first name, your legal first name will still show up on your academic transcript, degree parchment, and other documentation.

To change your chosen first name, please follow these steps:

Step 1
Current students, please go to goSFU and sign in with your computing ID and password. Applicants, please go to and sign in with your student number and password.

Step 2
Click on  Student Centre

Step 3
Scroll down to  Personal Information and clickon Names from the list.

Step 4

Click on ‘Edit’ icon for Chosen Name.

Step 5

 You can only update the First Name and Middle Name. After clicking on ‘Save’, you will see the Chosen Name has been updated successfully.

Legal name 

Your legal first name will continue to appear on official university documents:

  • Official university transcripts
  • Reports to government
  • Letters of attestation
  • Diplomas and certificates
  • Tuition fee invoices and/or receipts

Once you have legally changed your name through the government, you can change your legal name on your SFU records.

To change your legal name, please use the Student Name Change Application and submit to

Replacing your SFU ID card following a name change

The replacement card fee will be waived for students who provide proof of legal name change and those requesting their first SFU ID Card following a Chosen Name Change.

If you already have an SFU ID card and would like to get a new card with your chosen or new legal name, please contact us at the Registrar and Information Services office at any campus.

If you have an immediate need for access to a SFU ID card with a different name, you can request this by visiting the Registrar and Information Services office at any campus.  If you have questions about this process, please contact us.