- Creative support
- C&M staff
Editorial style guide
About this guide
This editorial style guide is a searchable online reference for Simon Fraser University (SFU) communicators. It describes SFU's "house style" for writing everything except academic and technical papers.
For issues not covered here, refer to The Canadian Press (CP) Stylebook and CP Caps and Spelling, which are the foundation for this guide. Use the Canadian Oxford Dictionary for spellings and issues not mentioned in either the SFU or CP guides.
What it includes
- SFU exceptions to the CP Stylebook
- Spelling conventions for SFU buildings, faculties, departments, schools, research centres and activities
- Answers to common questions about SFU titles and complicated wording
- Grammar guidance
- Tips for online writing, including social media
How to use it
- Search a specific term such as "em dash"
- Browse a specific section such as "Writing for the Web"
- Link sections of the guide to your emails, webpages or bookmarks
Need to download a copy?
If you'd like to keep a copy of the guide handy, download the PDF version.
Stay in touch
This guide is a living document. It is constantly changing as new words are added and definitions, spellings and grammar conventions change. When in doubt, search this guide for the latest rules.
For more information contact Communications & Marketing: email@example.com