- Future students
- Current students
- Get involved
- Return to campus
FCAT Excellence Awards
The Faculty of Communication, Art, and Technology (FCAT) contains an amazing set of faculty, staff, students and alumni. The FCAT Excellence Awards were created to honour the hard work, dedication, and excellence that occurs across FCAT and beyond. The FCAT Research Excellence Awards were created in 2018 and FCAT Teaching, Staff, and Alumni awards followed in 2021 to further recognize the exemplary work done by current FCAT members and alumni.
- Complete the nomination signature sheet. This form must be signed by at least one nominator in addition to the nominee. This serves as recognition that nominee agrees to be nominated for the award.
- Prepare your supporting documentation (see criteria for each award category).
- Complete the online nomination survey and upload your signature sheet and supporting documentation by October 29th.
Normally all awards are given out annually and ties may be considered. Award recipients will be notified two weeks prior to a Faculty-wide reception in early December.
The goal of the FCAT Research Awards is to recognize excellence in research within the faculty. Nominees should be those who excel in their domain of research and whose research contributions align with SFU’s strategic research priorities, as well as those of FCAT and the nominee’s school or program.
- Emerging Researcher Award - recognizes outstanding research contributions by a continuing faculty member who has been at SFU for less than six years.
- Distinguished Researcher Award - recognizes sustained outstanding contributions by a continuing faculty member over the majority of their career.
- Researcher of the Year Award - recognizes a specific and recent outstanding research contribution by a faculty member at any stage of their career.
- Community-engaged Research Award - recognizes a continuing faculty member at any stage of their career who has made a recent or sustained outstanding contribution to a community in which they are designing and conducting their research studies.
Prizes: Each winner will receive $1500 of funding support towards their research project.
Nominations can be made by continuing faculty members from any school or program within FCAT.
Nominations must include:
- a summary letter that illustrates why the candidate is deserving of the award (maximum two pages)
- the nominee’s full Curriculum Vitae
Adjudication committee: a committee will be chaired by the FCAT Associate Dean, Research, and include the Directors (or their designates) of each of FCAT’s schools and programs.