No online recording of this week's presentations are available due to confidentiality of the material. Please note: this workshop is for students only, faculty and staff will not be permitted.
Understanding Sexual Violence: Trauma Informed Approaches to Responding to Disclosures
This session will provide an overview of definitions, myth and misconceptions of sexual violence, understanding the impact of trauma and how to provide an empathetic and trauma informed response to someone experiencing sexual violence. This session will also provide information on policy GP44 and available supports and resources.
Ashley has been working within higher education for 5 years, working full time at BCIT and UBC and with other campuses in the province as a part time Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Consultant. Most recently Ashley has worked as the Sexual Assault Intervention and Prevention Advisor at UBC and Manager of the AMS Sexual Assault Support Centre at UBC. Ashley has worked for several community based and government organizations doing case management and victim services work with survivors from marginalized and at-risk communities. As a front-line support worker for many years she has had the honor to bear witness to many stories, which shapes how she approaches her work in sexual violence prevention and education. Ashley works through a trauma informed and intersectional lens and is continuing to learn and unlearn through on-going reflection and accountability. She is currently pursuing a Masters degree at SFU in Equity in Education Studies.
For more details, please visit the following website: http://www.sfu.ca/sexual-violence
1. Queering Sexual Violence- Reina Gosset
2. We Believe Survivors-Annie E Clark
3. Indigenous Women and Feminism: Cheryl Suzack
4. Color of Violence: The Incite Anthology
5. Islands of Decolonial Love- Leanne Betasamosake Simpson
6. Healing Sex- Stacey Jaines
7. Transforming a Rape Culture- Emilie Buchwald
8. Asking For it- Kate Harding
9. The Macho Paradox- Jackson Katz
10. The Revolution Starts at Home- Ching-In Chen, Jai Dulani, Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha
11. Yes means Yes- Jaqueline Freidman and Jessica Valenti
12. Rape is Rape- Jody Raphael
13. All About Love- Bell Hooks
14. Bad Feminist-Roxanne Gay
15. Missoula- Jon Krakauer
16. Trauma and Recovery- Judith. L. Herman
Articles to Read