Transferring within SFU

If you wish to change programs at SFU, you must consult with the program you wish to move to. They will evaluate what you have completed and the comparability with your intended program. If they approve the transfer your CGPA, credits earned, and time in the program remain. However, additional coursework may be required. At the point of transfer it is important you understand what work you would need to complete in the new program. Learn more at GGR 1.7.7a →

A transfer must take place prior to the start of the term.

If you are in a research-based program ensure to have a conversation with your past supervisor regarding your intentions and what ramifications to lab work or results prior to a transfer.

Transferring within a Unit

Transfer to a Master's Program

A student may transfer from a certificate or diploma to a master's program if the following requirements are met:

a) transfer takes place before the sixth term within a certificate or diploma;

b) CGPA is 3.0 or above or if all courses are graded on Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory basis, all must be complete with Satisfactory;

c) evidence that the student is capable of undertaking substantial original research;

d) must have completed a minimum of 12 units of course work in the certificate or 75% of the course work required in the diploma.

Transfer to a Doctoral Program

GGR 1.3.7b

A student may transfer from a master's to a doctoral program if the following requirements are met:

a) completion of at least 75% of the course work units required for the relevant department's master's program, with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5. All graduate work completed at SFU or its equivalent from a recognized institution,

b) evidence that the student is capable of undertaking substantial original research. Normally, such capability will be judged from letters of reference from qualified referees or other evidence of scholarly study;

c) the request for transfer is submitted after the second term and before the seventh term at SFU.

As per GGR 1.12.1 initial enrollment in the doctoral program will be considered as the initial enrollment as a master's student.

Transferring outside of SFU

If you wish to continue your program at another institution, it is your responsibility to see what credits and work will transfer over to your new program. Typically course outlines and coursework will need to be evaluated by the new program to review equivalencies. Obtaining outlines and past work is your responsibility.

Once you have decided to transfer, speak to your program about withdrawing from SFU. The withdraw dates and deadlines apply.

  1. Check with other institution
  2. Withdraw from your program
  3. Request official transcript