Visiting + Incoming Exchange

Western Deans' and CAGS Mobility Agreements 

This agreement was established in 1974 as an expression of cooperation and mutual support among universities offering Graduate programs in western Canada. Its primary purpose is the reciprocal enrichment of graduate programs throughout western Canada.

Visit Website 


Acceptance into a course is not guaranteed and is subject to availabilty.

Western Deans' Agreement

If you are a student at any of the following institutions, the Western Deans' Agreement provides an automatic tuition fee waiver for students who wish to take graduate classes at SFU. You will still pay tuition at your home institution, but, will not pay SFU tuition. You will be responsible for SFU ancillary fees.

  • University of Alberta
  • Athabasca University
  • Brandon University
  • University of British Columbia
  • British Columbia Institute of Technology
  • University of Calgary
  • Concordia University of Edmonton
  • University of Lethbridge
  • University of Manitoba
  • University of Northern British Columbia
  • University of Saskatchewan
  • University of Regina
  • Royal Roads University
  • Thompson Rivers University
  • Trinity Western University
  • University of Victoria
  • University of Winnipeg

Apply to WDA

To apply, complete this following form and follow the instructions at your home institution.

Download Application Form

Please visit the Dates + Deadlines page to review due dates for WDA documentation each term. 

CAGS Mobility Agreement

CAGS (Canadian Association for Graduate Students) wishes to encourage graduate student mobility within Canada in order to foster the exchange of ideas, specialized training, research collaboration, and interdisciplinarity. 

If your home institution is not listed above, but, is in Canada you may request to take courses at SFU, however, you will be responsible for tuition and ancillary fees at SFU and may be required to pay tuition and fees at your home institution as well. 

Apply to CAGS

The following form, with an unofficial transcript from your home institution, confirmation of your student status at your home institution and proof of valid medical coverage are required at the time of application. 

Download Application Form

*CAGS documentation is due a minimum of 6 weeks prior to the first day of the new term at the host institution.