HELPING EASE ACCESS FOR RETURNING TEACHERS
Helping Ease Access for Returning Teachers (HEART)
HEART supports teachers who need to recertify and acts as a refresher program for teachers who have been out of the classroom for a period of time.
This one-semester, 12-credit program (EDUC 406 - Teaching Semester) involves a two-week orientation on-campus, followed by a 10-week practicum in a B.C. public school. It allows educators to reacquaint themselves with the B.C. school system, update their teaching experience and get certified by the Teacher Certification Branch (TCB) of the B.C. Ministry of Education.
WHO CAN APPLY?
- Teachers who have their B.C. certification and are seeking a current practicum report
- Teachers with lapsed B.C. certification or certification outside of B.C. and are seeking new B.C. certification. For advising purposes, a letter of evaluation from the TCB must be submitted to email@example.com prior to completing the application.
HEART applicants may wish to engage in preparatory activities prior to completing their application and/or starting the program.
Activities may include, but are not limited to:
- Increasing familiarity with, and understanding of, the B.C. curriculum - https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca (strongly recommended)
- Observing and volunteering in a K-12 public school classrooms or other educational settings with the possibility of obtaining a current reference from the teacher with whom you volunteer – focusing on current and best practices around student-centered learning, curriculum integration, formative assessment, and classroom management (strongly recommended)
- Attending related workshops and/or courses to support ongoing professional development
- Exploring anti-oppression, anti-racist and decolonizing practices and social justice education in B.C. schools
- Increasing familiarity with aboriginal Indigenous Education initiatives and the integration of Indigenous perspectives and knowledge into the curriculum
- Keeping a journal to reflect on your teaching and learning experiences
HEART is offered in the fall and spring semesters. Space is limited.
- Spring semester: Apply by September 15th
- Fall semester: Apply by February 15th
An interview is required as part of the application process.
Students intending to complete SFU courses in preparation for application to EDUC 406 should email firstname.lastname@example.org