Graduate Student Orientation
"Build Your Own" Orientation
Friday, August 30, 2019
Please join us at SFU Burnaby for a free orientation conference where you get to decide what is most useful to get your grad school experience off on the best foot.
Choose from interactive information sessions, campus and service tours, social events, and more. Session option from pervious years:
- International graduate student orientation (Topics will include information on immigration, employment, health insurance, and academic culture in Canada)
- Navigating the student-supervisor relationship
- Wellness workshops
- Career kickstarter
- Writing in graduate school
- Campus and service tours
If your plans change and you are unable to attend, please cancel on Eventbrite or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (Note: This event is for graduate students only. There will be many more free public events for our graduate students' partners and spouses.)
For questions, please contact the Director of Student Life, Graduate Student Society, at email@example.com
- If you are an international student and will be taking a job as a Teaching or Research Assistant, see also:
- Benefit Info & Sign Up Sessions: Teaching Assistants & Research Assistants
- Social Insurance Numbers for International Employees
- Free International Teaching Assistant Seminar
- Our new Virtual Orientation section provides an introduction to the campus even before you arrive.
- If you have a confirmed place in the SFU Graduate Residences (Hamilton Hall, downtown Vancouver or Townhouses), visit their orientation page.
- SFU Library orientation: Library Research Basics for Grad Students (dates TBA). See also their full list of Research Commons workshops.
- There is a Facebook group for incoming graduate students to connect with each other.
- Our Facebook group for current graduate students (SFU email ID required for membership; you'll get your SFU account about 2 months before the beginning of your first term) can keep you updated and connected to your fellow students.
- SFU Recreation Services has free tours and consultations available at any time — just avoid the first couple of weeks of the term, as they're usually very busy at that time. Note: If you're not based at the Burnaby campus, you can also get city-wide recreation memberships through SFU Vancouver or SFU Surrey.
We are grateful to our funders who have provided financial support to help make this event possible.