Frequently Asked Questions

Explore some frequently asked questions about enrolment, course selection, support services, and other resources.

Enrolment FAQs

When should I enroll?

Your enrollment appointment is emailed to your SFU email account two weeks before the start of enrollment. Courses fill up quickly. We recommend enrolling / adding yourself to the waitlist on your enrollment date to avoid disappointment.  

Please review before you enroll:

(Note: you can drop classes after enrolling in them, but you should be aware of the potential academic and/or financial penalties, depending on when you drop a course)

What courses should I enroll in?

Step 1

Review your Academic Progress Report (APR)* and your advising transcript, which are helpful course planning tools.

*If you are unsure or the APR does not work for you, check in with a SIAT advisor or review the academic calendar.

Step 2

Check goSFU and / or mySchedule to see what courses will be offered in the upcoming semester.


Read the class notes, which have important information on reserved seats.

You can review courses (prerequisites, course descriptions,  and course outlines) and program requirements in the academic calendar.

Step 3

Put together a course plan for the semester. It is also helpful to put together a backup plan just in case some of your first-choice classes are full.

Step 4

If you still have questions about course planning, contact a SIAT advisor – bring your course plan to review!

I need to take a WQB course—do you have any recommendations?

We advise students to choose WQB courses that they would be interested in taking—but which courses specifically? That’s up to you! To make the search a bit easier, here’s a helpful tip:

You can filter for WQB courses in goSFU: Class Search > Additional Search Criteria > WQB Designation

  • Remember to select the upcoming Term under “Term”
  • We recommend searching specifically for "All Breadth Social Science," “All Quantitative,” etc., so you see the most course options 
  • In Additional Search Criteria, you can also filter for "Mode of Instruction" (e.g., Distance Education) and "Campus" (e.g., Vancouver)

I don’t have a prerequisite or meet the seat reserves for a course

Course Reserves:

Many departments reserve enrollment in some courses for their major/minor students, including SIAT. Some courses do not move to open enrollment and so are inaccessible to students not enrolled in that particular major/minor.  

If you don’t meet the seat reserves for a course:

  • Check the course notes—some seats are only reserved until open enrollment
  • If the reserves will lift at open enrollment, join the course waitlist and keep an eye on your waitlist position


If you don’t have the prerequisites for a course:

  • Fill out the SIAT appeal form outlining how you have met the prerequisite requirements through other courses.
  • Send the form and your advising transcript to our SIAT advisor.

Your request will be reviewed by SIAT’s Undergraduate Committee Chair.


Sometimes the answer will be “no.” Make sure to enroll in a back-up course. Some classes will remain reserved and / or prerequisites will remain required.


SIAT advisors cannot enroll students in courses offered by other departments or waive pre-requisites for their courses. Check the website of the department offering the course for more information on their registration policies (and see the next FAQ).

I can’t get into a class from another department—where do I go for help?

SIAT advisors can only help with IAT classes. If you can’t get into a class from another department, please contact the advisor for that department. A list of advisors can be found here.

I was blocked from enrolling in a class—how do I fix it?

Here are some common reasons why students are blocked from enrolling or waitlisting in courses. This includes being blocked from moving from the waitlist into a class. You can check all of these in your goSFU account:

  • you have or will be enrolled in more than 18 units (maximum enrollment limit per term is 18 units)
  • you have or will be wait listed for more than 8 units (maximum wait list limit per term is 8 units)
  • you do not have the prerequisites or meet the seat reserves (see Prerequisites and Seat Reserves FAQ)
  • there is a time conflict with your enrolled course (see Time Conflicts FAQ)
  • you have an outstanding tuition balance or financial hold  (see instructions on paying tuition, and if you have any questions about the charges contact SFU Student Accounts)

I am on a class waitlist—what now?

If a class is full, you can still put yourself on a wait-list if one exists. You can monitor your enrollment and waitlist positions via goSFU. Wait lists run until the first week of class, after that the wait list is visible but not running. Wait lists are removed at the beginning of week three.  

To monitor your waitlist position in goSFU: Student Centre > Enrollment Activity (under “Other Academic” dropdown menu)


SIAT wait lists are first-come-first-served and individuals on the wait list will be added to courses in the order that they joined the wait list as spaces become available in the course.

Other course enrollment resources

SFU Support Services

International students

SFU International Student Advising – contact them with any questions about your student permit and post-grad work permit application.

International Student resources – social connections, study permit advising, awards, medical insurance, welcome guides, etc.

Indigenous students

SFU Indigenous Student Centre – a welcoming and inclusive space for Indigenous students to study, network, and access additional supports, such as academic success resources, health support, counselling, and more.

Nicole Manson, the Indigenous Academic and Student Liaison in the Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology (which the SCA is part of), can be reached by email at or by phone at (778) 782-5795.

Health and Counselling

Health & Counselling  – doctor appointments, counselling services, emergency numbers, and health and wellbeing resources, etc.

Download My SSP App – provides real-time, 24/7 access to professional counsellors, as well as scheduled short-term counselling support

Office of Student Supports, Rights and Responsibilities – students can find out about their responsibilities and rights as members of the SFU community, and learn about the supports available to them.

Financial Aid and Awards Advising

SFU Financial Aid & Awards – scholarships, awards, bursaries, student loan questions, etc.

More financial planning resources can be found at mysfuplan

Academic accommodations and concessions

Centre for Accessible Learning (CAL) – academic accommodations for short- or long-term disabilities (physical and mental health, learning disabilities)

Academic concessions  – granted when unexpected situations or circumstances prevent students from participating in course-related activities, which could include missing a class, or completing graded work or exams. 

Situations or circumstances that may call for an academic concession include illness, accident, family situation, and similar unanticipated changes in personal responsibilities that create a conflict, or warrant particular compassion.

Concessions are normally granted at the discretion of individual instructors and / or in accordance with established departmental or Faculty policies and procedures. Students should always speak to their instructor as a first step.

Academic difficulty and course withdrawal under extenuating circumstances

If you are having difficulty with your SFU courses, there are resources available to help you:

Field school and study abroad advising

If you have questions about studying abroad, we recommend exploring the SFU Study Abroad website and talking to a Study Abroad advisor.

Learn more about how to connect with an advisor: Study Abroad Advising

SIAT program information and resources

Apply to graduate

Before you apply for graduation, we recommend that you meet with you’re a SIAT advisor to do an official graduation check. Although you may have completed your program requirements, you must also complete the general degree requirements.

Step 1: Log into your student account via
Step 2: From the menu at top left, expand "Self Service"
Step 3: Under "Self Service", select "Graduation/Convocation"
Step 4: Select "Apply for Graduation"
Step 5: Read the Instructions, scroll down, and click the "Continue" button to fill out the online application form.

Helpful SFU resources

How to access your transcript

There are three different transcripts that you may need, depending on the situation. Follow the links below to access your transcripts.

Official transcript - An official transcript is a complete record of your academic history at Simon Fraser University up until the day the transcript is produced. 

Unofficial transcript - The unofficial transcript is intended for personal use and reference; it does not contain the University seal or the signature of the Registrar.

Advising transcript – Your advising transcript is available through goSFU. 

Academic calendar

You can access the current academic calendar at the following link: Current academic calendar

Term dates and deadlines

See the term dates and deadlines at the following link: Dates and deadlines