- Housing options
- Moving in
- Contact us
- COVID-19 Information
If you are planning to switch or room swap, please refer to the information on this page. Utilize the cleaning guides we have created for each building. Make sure to return your keys and clean your (shared) space to avoid the charges. The room switch instructions apply to all residents living in both the Burnaby and Vancouver residences.
Room Switch Requests (other than priority requests) are only reviewed during certain times of the term:
- After the third week of the term. This is to give residents the opportunity to arrive and adjust to their new community.
- Before the last three weeks of the term end. This is to ensure minimum disruption during exams.
- For a request to be reviewed, you must fill out a Room Switch Request Form that can be found on our Forms Page.
- Submission of the form does not guarantee that your room switch application will be approved.
- All requests are reviewed by the Residence Life Team and you may need to meet with your Residence Life Coordinator to discuss your request.
- Click on the link provided for a more detailed disciption of the Room Switch process and to download the Room Switch Request form on our Forms Page.
If you are room switching between the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 terms:
- Know when your room switch date is - you will need to room switch / vacate your current room on that day
- Units will be cleaned to acceptable levels following each inspection and cleaning charges will be assessed to all occupants
- Our facilities staff will inspect all shared spaces at a to be determined date
- Our facilities staff will re-inspect all shared spaces at a to be determined date
- Ensure that when you move out, that your room has been cleaned and your key is returned to avoid charges
Six steps to a successful room switch
Step 1: Report any maintenance issues
Step 2: Remove all garbage + recycle
Step 3: Clean your (shared) space
Clean your (shared) space to avoid the cleaning charges.
Everyone's Responsibility is to clean their shared spaces including Bathroom, Kitchen, Fridge, Stove and Living Room.
Our maintenance staff will take photographs of any rooms that are left unclean, untidy, or damaged. Refer to the room condition/inventory form you completed when you moved in. Any damage or items needing repair will have been reported on this form and this will be the standard used to assess whether your room is left in the same condition it was received.
For more information regarding how to clean visit our Cleaning page.
Step 4: Return your key on time
Return your key to avoid the lock change charges.
Hand in your key and make sure to get a key receipt (or drop key in the after-hours key drop box at the office). If you are remaining in the same room for the next term, you should not return your key.
Burnaby: Return your key to SFU Residence and Housing Office
Vancouver: Return your key to the drop box located beside the mail boxes in the lobby. On move out day a residence administrator will be present as well (during regular working hours).
Step 5: Internet access
Leave all Shaw equipment in your room when you leave to avoid the replacement fee.
If you are room switching, your Shaw SFUResNet Wifi password and SSID will not be changing. Leave all Shaw equipment in your room when you leave, including modem, remote control, and all cords.
Step 6: Dining Hall
Stay informed on the Dining Hall and their hours of operations.