- Housing options
- Moving in
- Contact us
If you are switching your room, please refer to the information on this page. Utilize the cleaning guides we have created for each building. Make sure to return your keys and clean your (shared) space to avoid the charges. The room switch instructions apply to all residents living in both the Burnaby and Vancouver residences.
If you are room switching between the Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 terms:
- Know when your room switch date is - you will need to room switch / vacate your current room on that day
- Units will be cleaned to acceptable levels following each inspection and cleaning charges will be assessed to all occupants
- Ensure that when you move out, that your room has been cleaned and your key is returned to avoid charges
- New key pick up: On your room switch date, pick up during Residence and Housing office hours
- Old key return: Your key needs to be returned to the SFU Residence and Housing office (no later than 11:59 pm) on the same day that you pick up your new term room key
Six steps to a successful room switch
Step 1: Report any maintenance issues
Step 3: Clean your (shared) space
Clean your (shared) space to avoid the cleaning charges.
Everyone's Responsibility is to clean their shared spaces including Bathroom, Kitchen, Fridge, Stove and Living Room.
Our maintenance staff will take photographs of any rooms that are left unclean, untidy, or damaged. Refer to the room condition/inventory form you completed when you moved in. Any damage or items needing repair will have been reported on this form and this will be the standard used to assess whether your room is left in the same condition it was received.
For more information regarding how to clean visit our Cleaning page.
Step 4: Return your key on time
Return your key to avoid the lock change charges.
Hand in your key and make sure to get a key receipt (or drop key in the after-hours key drop box at the office). If you are remaining in the same room for the next term, you should not return your key.
Burnaby: Return your key to SFU Residence and Housing Office
Vancouver: Return your key to the drop box located beside the mail boxes in the lobby. On move out day a residence administrator will be present as well (during regular working hours).
Step 5: Internet access
Leave all Shaw equipment in your room when you leave to avoid the replacement fee.
If you are room switching, your Shaw SFUResNet Wifi password and SSID will not be changing. Leave all Shaw equipment in your room when you leave, including modem, remote control, and all cords.
Step 6: Dining Hall
Stay informed on the Dining Hall and their hours of operations.