- The Towers
- Shell House
- McTaggart-Cowan Hall
- The Townhouses
- Hamilton Hall
- Charles Chang Innovation Centre
- Living Learning Communities
- Off-campus housing
- Residence tours
- Housing comparison
- East/West Towers
- Moving in
- Contact us
- COVID-19 Information
While all of SFU residence is a learning community, you also have the option to apply to one of our specific Living-Learning Communities (LLC) which are grouped around a particular focus with additional support and programming. LLCs connect students academically and socially while creating a space for continued learning, personal growth and strong connections with other students, staff and faculty outside of the classroom.
Fall 2020/Spring 2021 LLC Locations*
- The Leadership, Empowerment and Development LLC, Beedie School of Business LLC, and Engaged Global Citizenship LLC will be located in our Towers Community.
- These LLCs are primary focused on supporting first year students in their transition to university life, but students from all years are welcome to apply.
- Students in the Indigenous Living-Learning Community will be invited to live in a building type that best fits their academic and personal needs.
*Please note that all of our Living-Learning Communities are gender inclusive (co-ed).
How you benefit
Students who participate in Living-Learning Communities are more likely to feel they had an easier transition into university life, a higher sense of community and belonging in residence. They have higher levels of academic self-confidence and are more likely to successfully engage in academic projects (such as honours), study abroad opportunities, and research/capstone projects. Students who participate in LLC communities are more likely to become student leaders and mentors.
(National Study of Living Learning Programs, 2007; Spanierman, Soble, Mayfield, Neville, Aber, Khuri, & De La Rosa, 2013).
How to apply
When completing your housing application, apply for one of SFU’s Living Learning Communities (LLC). You will be asked to complete a questionnaire explaining your interest in becoming a part of that specific LLC. You must have a completed housing application (fully filled out and application fee paid) in order to be considered for a LLC.
- All completed LLC applications will be reviewed starting in late February and will continue until the LLCs are full.
- If you apply and are accepted to a LLC, your housing offer will be for this LLC. If you receive a LLC housing offer and wish to live elsewhere in residence (including living on a specialty floor), you will need to decline your LLC Housing offer and will then be placed on the Residence and Housing wait list at this time.
- As LLC space is limited, you will still be considered for a space in housing outside of your LLC preference. This will be based on the date of your completed housing application (including your application fee).