Scholarships & Awards
Links below redirect to the Dean of Graduate Studies website.
- Graduate Fellowships
- Graduate Fellowships (PhD, MA, M.Sc.)
- Graduate Fellowships (EdD)
- Graduate Fellowship (M.Ed. TEAL-F program)
- Private Graduate Awards
- Departmental Awards
- Awards for International Students
- President's PhD Scholarship
- Bursaries and Loans
- Travel and Research Awards
- Faculty of Education Conference Funding (PhD, MA, M.Ed., M.Sc. and EdD, Community-based Cohort M.Ed)
- EGSA Professional Development Grant (PDG)
- GSS Professional Development Grant
- Travel and Research Awards (Dean of Graduate Studies)
- Major External Awards
- DGS Scholarship Workshops
- EGSA Community Development Grant
- GSS Subsidies and Bursaries (Financial need-based)
- GSS Benefit Plan Bursary
GSS Family Subsidy
GSS Emergency Grocery Card Program
- GSS Benefit Plan Bursary
Learn more about the Faculty of Education Graduate Student Funding Policy.
Deadlines for Upcoming Select External Scholarships
For more scholarships, see Graduate Studies & Postdoctoral Fellows Scholarships & Awards as well as their Scholarships and Awards Blog.
- January 2: Professional Development Grant (GSS), Grants of $499 for graduate students presenting at conferences or engaging in field research, for travel occurring between February 1, 2018 and May 31, 2018.
- February 1: Paul Tai Yip Ng Memorial Award $1,200 for the best graduate paper that advances understanding of intercultural issues, particularly in Canada and the Asia Pacific region.
- February 15: Call for Nominations: Sterling Prize in Support of Controversy, the Nora and Ted Sterling Prize in Support of Controversy is awarded annually for work that presents new ways of looking at the world, ways that are daring and creative.
No Deadline/Varied Deadlines:
- Fulbright awards for Canadian students who are looking for further studies in the US
- JSPS Pre- and Post-doctoral Fellowship Program for North American and European Researchers, 60 Fellowships (up to ¥200,000 or $915K CAD) for pre- and post-doctoral researchers in Japan
- September–November Simons Foundation, Advancing Research in Basic Science and Mathematics
- Graduate Student Emergency Aid (Emergency Grocery Card Program, and Emergency Bursaries)
- Mitacs Globalink Research Award, up to $5k for study in Brazil, mainland China, India, Mexico, Turkey or Vietnam
- Mitacs Globalink Partnership Award, up to $15k for graduate research in industry in Brazil, mainland China, India, Mexico, Turkey, France or Vietnam
- SFU Student Social Innovation Grants, $200-$1000 to work on a radical idea with social or environmental impact.
- Accelerate Interships with Mitacs, at least $10,000 for standard 4-month internship. Open to graduate students and postdoctoral fellows at a Canadian University
- TSSU Member Childcare Bursary, late applications are subject to the availability of funds at the time of the application
- Data Incubator 8-week fellowships for grad students looking to enter industry, any discipline (Why they don't care about your discipline)
- Graduate Student Initiative Grant, The GSS is considering providing grants of up to $200 to help its members establish organizations (including, but not limited to clubs) or a series of thematic events that will lead to increased academic and social connections between graduate students at SFU
- Financial Aid for Indigenous Students
- SAGE, interdisciplinary and cross-institutional peer mentoring program designed to support Aboriginal graduate students with the successful transition into and completion of their graduate program.
- New Relationship Trust Award, Offering $10k (Master's) and $20k (Doctoral) scholarships for Indigenous students.
Search Scholarship Databases
- Province of British Columbia Grants Database
The Province of BC has a large grants website, under their RuralBC initiative. The grants are from a number of Canadian private and public sources and range from environmental to heritage to Aboriginal to youth to a range of other community-based efforts.If your graduate research includes an element that engages the community, you might be able to find funding to help you carry out the work. (As with all funding opportunities, be sure to talk to your supervisor before you start writing a proposal.)
- ScholarshipDB.net Database
A large database of scholarships, awards, and postodctoral positions, searchable by country and academic discipline.
- Scholarships Positions Database
The Scholarship-Positions.com website, run by international students from over 25 countries, contains a very large number of awards, with daily updates.
Scholarships are sorted by country, educational level (eg. Master's / PhD / post-doc) and assistantships / research positions. There is also a page of scholarships for women.
- Scholarships Canada Database
The Scholarships Canada contains over 80,000 scholarships, awards, bursaries and grants worth $177,092,640.
- Even more databases which list awards from around the world