The Graduate Fellowship (GF) is a one-term award normally valued at $6,500 (effective Fall 2015). Academic units, however, have the option of awarding partial GFs (.5) valued at $3,250 (effective Fall 2015). Applicants may be eligible to receive up to a maximum of two full GFs, or four partial GFs, during an academic year (September 1–August 31).
To be eligible to hold a GF, the applicant must be registered as a full-time, regular (not "on-leave" or "part-time") student and must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.50. In exceptional cases, other evidence of outstanding ability may outweigh this criterion.
Applicants should first read the GF Terms of Reference below to ensure they meet all of the criteria for this award.
Eligible students apply through their department of enrolment by completing an application through the Graduate Award, Application and Adjudication System (GA3) . It is the student's responsibilty attach any required documents/transcripts and submit it online by the deadline.
Terms of Reference
- To be eligible to hold a Graduate Fellowship (GF), a student must be registered as a full-time, regular (not "on-leave") student in a Master’s or Doctoral program. In programs where fees are assessed on a per-credit basis, students must be taking at least six credit hours to be eligible to receive a Graduate Fellowship.
- Eligible students must have a minimum first-class (3.50) cumulative grade point average. In exceptional cases, other evidence of outstanding ability may outweigh this criterion. Since academic merit is the primary criterion for ranking eligible applicants, departments must notify all applicants in advance if additional criteria will be used.
- Students will be eligible to hold a GF only during the first 9 semesters of a Master's program and during the first 15 semesters of a Ph.D. program.
- Students who did not complete a Master's program before transferring into a Phd are eligible to hold the GF within the first 15 semesters of their PhD, from the PhD start date.
- GFs will be awarded in increments of .5, 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0. A partial GF (.5) is valued at $3,250; a full GF (1.0) is valued at $6,500. Applicants may be eligible to receive up to a maximum of two full GFs, or four partial GFs, during the academic year (September 1 – August 31).
- GF recipients are eligible to hold other scholarships funded from SFU sources.
- Graduate Fellowship recipients may accept other scholarship support from external funding sources including SFU’s ‘private’ awards (derived from annual and endowed funds). Recipients should be aware that some external awards may restrict students from holding a GF at the same time as the external award. If the total of the GF and other external support exceeds $50,000 per annum, the value of the GF will be reduced so that the total equals $50,000.
- There is no restriction on GF recipients receiving income for work performed during tenure of the GF.
- Application is made through the Graduate Award, Application and Adjudication System (GA3).
- Awards are made by the Senate Graduate Awards Adjudication Committee on the recommendations of the Departmental Graduate Program Committee.
Revised: March 2015