- Welcome & introduction
- Campus safety & security
- Work & research safety
- Risk & emergency planning
SFU holiday closure reminders
Leaving the office for a holiday break? You deserve it! But before you do, we wanted to share helpful information that will help keep our community and workspaces safe.
SFU Burnaby campus
- General campus closures and reduced services December 25, 2021 - January 4, 2022
- Campus Public Safety access map and routes
SFU Surrey campus
- The Surrey campus will be closed from December 25, 2021 to January 3, 2022 inclusive.
- All offices will re-open on January 4, 2022.
- Any students, staff and faculty who need to gain access to Surrey campus buildings during this time period will be required to show SFU ID for entrance.
SFU Vancouver campus
- The Vancouver campus will be closed December 25, 2021 to January 3, 2022 inclusive.
- During this time all building entrances will be locked, fob access as follows:
- HC & GCA - 24/7 fob access.
- SB - Fob access 07:30-23:00 hrs, all days.
- C4D - will be locked with access via special request to HC Security.
Reminders before leaving campus
- Lock all office doors, and make sure windows and doors are tightly secured before you leave.
- Close all blinds and curtains, especially where an interior can be viewed from outside.
- Secure portable items such as tablets (e.g., iPads), laptops and cash boxes in locked cabinets/vaults.
- Take home any valuable personal items.
- Ensure office and cabinet keys are properly accounted for and secured. Master Key holder? Please place in your departmental key cabinet if applicable or take them home to keep in a secure place you’ll remember.
- Ensure taps and faucets are turned off in rooms where they will not be in use.
- Check for any property issues and notify Facilities Services if these have potential to become a bigger concern if left unattended (e.g., broken doorknobs, backed up toilets, pipe leaks).
- Turn off and unplug any electronic equipment where possible.
- See the latest Campus Access Route map for getting across campus during the holiday closure.
- Review Campus Public Safety urgent and non-urgent lines
What's open over the holiday break
- All COVID-19 related measures and requirements for on-campus work and study at SFU remain in place throughout the holidays.
- Access remains limited to current members of the community undertaking essential on-campus work or study.
General winter reminders
Winter conditions are coming to the Burnaby campus. Know the latest campus conditions by checking the following:
Health and wellness
Although incredibly imporant any time of the year, the holidays can be particularly tough on folks. It’s important to think about your mental wellness over the dreary winter months and the SFU Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) is here to provide you with confidential and professional assistance. They can help you or your family members resolve problems affecting your personal and work lives.
Keeping your personal information safe
This holiday season, unpack tips for spotting fake gift card requests and leap into the New Year with all of your personal data intact. IT Services invites you to review online safety tips for avoiding phishing emails, so you can ensure your days are merry and bright.
Heating and ventilation reduced over the winter
To reduce greenhouse gases emissions over the break, thermostats and ventilation rates will be lowered in most buildings. If you will be occupying your area over the closure, email Facilities Services by December 17 at: firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
- Dates: (expected date of presence)
- Times: (expected time of presence)
- Building Name
- Room Number
- Phone Number of Contact Person
Buildings that are not normally subject to temperature reductions include:
- South Science Building
- Applied Science Building
- Research Labs in Shrum Science Centre
- Childcare Centre
- Townhouses & Residence
- TASC 2
- Research Labs in Saywell Hall and Blusson Hall