- Campus safety & security
- Work & research safety
- Risk & emergency planning
Safety Alert: Burnaby Campus
A incident took place yesterday evening, July 14, near our Burnaby campus. At approximately 8:30 pm, a female SFU community member was walking in the Burnaby Mountain trails near the corner of University Dr. West and West Campus Road when an unknown male approached her and attempted to grab her hand. The individual was able to escape and the man fled. Burnaby RCMP responded and are investigating.
The safety of our community members is a priority for us and this incident is very upsetting. SFU is providing support and assistance to the individual who was assaulted. We are cooperating closely with the RCMP to support their investigation and SFU security presence is being increased on campus; security continues to patrol to look for suspicious activity and offer assistance to our community.
Burnaby RCMP has issued the following advisory with additional details about the suspect in their release. Anyone with information about this incident should contact the Burnaby RCMP at 604-294-7922 or Crime Stoppers, if you wish to remain anonymous call 1-800-222-TIPS or go to www.solvecrime.ca.
- If you notice suspicious individuals or feel threatened, call 911 immediately.
- Avoid walking alone on campus and consider using our 24/7 Safewalk program.
- Add the SFU Campus Security phone number to your phone contacts: 778-782-4500
- Identify the nearest direct-line security telephone or blue emergency phone in areas you commonly visit.
- Review more safety information and resources in our SFU Personal Safety Guides.