Important notes about our program
SFU Science in Action offers free science education to K-12 students at our Burnaby campus.
If you are looking for science workshops delivered at your school or at the Burnaby or Surrey campuses, contact the Let's Talk Science program.
- All programs for youth are offered at no-cost at the Burnaby campus. Select activities can be arranged to be held at the SFU Surrey campus, pending lab/instructor availabilities.
- Most sessions are taught in English, arrangements can be made for selected activities to be taught in French.
- Unless indicated, all workshops are held at the Trottier Studio for Innovative Science Education, room C9051 Shrum Science Chemistry Building. See map.
- If your class is arriving by school bus, contact us for complimentary parking arrangements. Otherwise, parking fees apply to private vehicles. See SFU Parking.
- We require a 1:10 adult to child ratio, please ensure that you have enough parent/teacher volunteers that are able to supervise the children for the length of the workshop. This pertains to both high school and elementary classes.
- Please let us know if there are any students with special learning needs in your group so that we can modify our learning strategies and content.
- Our science outreach workshops are run by enthusiastic faculty members, graduate students and volunteers - please treat them with respect and courtesy.
- These programs/workshops may be photographed and/or video recorded by Simon Fraser University for archival, educational, and related promotional purposes. By attending or participating in these events, you are giving your consent to be photographed and/or video recorded. If you do not wish to be photographed and/or video recorded, please let us know and move to the side prior to the shoot. The full SFU privacy notice is available here.
- Faculty and students can offer services as classroom lecturers, judges and coaches. If you would like to arrange for lab tours and career exploration talks, contact email@example.com or call 778-782-6967.
Please note that registrations take place in August for Fall workshops and late November for Spring workshops.
Registration now open for free, one-day high school workshops
Molecular Biology and Biochemistry: January 30, 2019 *FULL*
Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology: February 20, 2019 *FULL*
Mathematics: February 27, 2019
Earth Sciences: April 24, 2019
Physics: May 1, 2019
Workshops are from 9:30am-2:00pm at SFU Burnaby and include lab tours, research presentations, hands-on lab activities and post-secondary exploration discussions with SFU students in the program. Registration on first come first served basis, 60 students max will be accepted, open to Grade 9-12 students.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your group.
Programs on campus for Elementary School students
Programs on campus for High School students
Other programs and workshops for Elementary and High School students
NOUVEAU : Ateliers scientifiques gratuits offerts en français!
La Faculté des sciences de l'Université Simon Fraser offre une nouvelle série d'activités et de présentations sur les sciences en français! Développés pour les élèves de la maternelle à la 12e année en immersion française et du programme francophone, ces ateliers sont offerts sur le campus de SFU à Burnaby sur les heures de classe régulières.
Contactez-nous à l'adresse suivante : email@example.com pour obtenir tous les détails et pour inscrire votre groupe d'un minimum de 20 élèves.