- Contact Us
- Administration & Staff
- Current Faculty
- Adjunct Faculty & Other Members
- Retired Faculty & Staff
- In Memoriam
- Indigenous Reconciliation
- IRC Events
- Upcoming Nov 24th - Kyle Mays IRC Event - Blackness, Indigeneity, and Kinship as Solidarity
- Mark Champley IRC Event - One person's reconciliation journey in Australia
- Adam Murry IRC Event - Going where the need is: Psychological research in the context of reconciliation
- Amy Bombay IRC Event - Intergenerational trauma and the protective effects of culture...
- Karlee Fellner IRC Event -iskotew & crow: (re)igniting narratives of Indigenous survivance & trauma wisdom in psychology
- JoLee Sasakamoose IRC Event -The Culturally Responsive Framework, Developing strength-based trauma-informed practices & Indigenous wellbeing
- Cornelia Wieman IRC Event - A Year in Public Health: The Collision of Three Public Health Emergencies
- Other Ongoing Events
- What is Reconciliation?
- Territorial Acknowledgment
- Student Profiles
- IRC Committee Members
- IRC Events
- Areas of Study
- Academic Advising
- Course Information
- Academic Honesty
- Psychology Student Union
- SFU Undergraduate Journal of Psychology (UJP)
- Graduate Chair's Welcome
- Clinical Psychology Program
- Psychology Graduate Program
- Current Students
- Upcoming Thesis Defences
- Psychology Grad Caucus
- New Students
- People to Know
- Teaching Assistantships
- Events & Workshops
- Resources & Links
- News & Events
- Examining Relationships Up Close: An In-depth Look at Couples' Everyday Stress Hormones and Health Habits
- Culturally Responsive Forensic Mental Health Assessment: A Practical Approach
- PSYC Honours Info Session
- PSYC Grad School 101
- PSYC Career Events
- Research Lab Fair
- Past events
- Department Newsletter
- All Families Lab
- Autism & Developmental Disabilities Lab
- Join the Lab
- Mailing List
- Children's Memory Research Group
- Close Relationships Lab
- Cognitive Aging Lab
- CORTECH Lab
- Culture and Development Lab
- Douglas Research Lab
- Dr. Aknin's Helping and Happiness Lab
- Family Dynamics Project
- Grow to Care Lab
- Human Neuropsychology Lab
- Measurement and Modelling Lab
- Mental Health, Law and Policy Institute
- Personality and Emotion Research Lab
- Psychological Methods Consulting
- Singlehood Experiences and Complexities Underlying Relationships (SECURE) Lab
- Spalek Laboratory of Attention Memory and Perception
- Studies in Methodology and Philosophy of Psychological Science Lab
- Lab Members
- Join Our Lab
- Contact Us
- Translational Neuroscience Lab
- Vision Lab
- Weight and Eating Lab
- Clinical Psychology Centre
- login (for Dept. Members)
Areas of interest
History, Quantitative & Theoretical (primary), Developmental
Philosophy of psychological science, analysis and critique of empirical methodologies, study of scientific practices in psychology, history/philosophy of psychological measurement, theoretical and applied psychometrics.
Lamiell, J., & Slaney, K. L. (Eds) (2021). Problematic research practices and inertia in scientific psychology: History, sources, and recommended solutions. New York, NY: Routledge.
Slaney, K. L. (2017). Validating psychological constructs: Historical, philosophical, and practical dimensions. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
Martin, J., Sugarman, J., & Slaney, K. L. (2015). The Wiley handbook of theoretical and philosophical psychology: Methods, approaches, and new directions for social sciences. Chichester, England: Wiley Blackwell.
Racine, T. P., & Slaney, K. L. (Eds.) (2013). A Wittgensteinian perspective on the use of conceptual analysis in psychology. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
Edited Special Issues
Slaney, K. L. & Morrissey, M. (Eds) (2020). Special issue: Possibility for women in psychology and interdisciplinary sciences: Theoreticians, scientists and agents for change in the twenty-first century. Journal of Theoretical and Philosophical Psychology, 40.
Clegg, J., & Slaney, K. L. (Eds) (2019). Special Issue: Psychology’s Replication Crisis. Journal of Theoretical and Philosophical Psychology, 39.
Slaney, K. L. (2023). Why Force a Square Peg into a Round Hole? The Ongoing (Pseudo-)Problem of Psychological Measurement (invited commentary). Theory & Psychology, 33, 138-144.
Slaney, K. L., & Tafreshi, D. (2021). Scientific generalization in psychological inquiry: A concept in need of clarification. Qualitative Psychology.
Hohn, R., Slaney, K. L., & Tafreshi, D. (2020). An empirical review of meta-analytic research and reporting practices in psychology. Review of General Psychology, 24, 195-209.
Hohn, R. E., Slaney, K. L., & Tafreshi, D. (2019) Primary study quality in psychological meta-analyses: An empirical assessment of recent practice. Frontiers in Psychology, 9, 2667. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2018.02667
Trevisan, D., Tafreshi, D., Slaney, K. L., Yager, J., & Iarocci, G. (2018). A psychometric evaluation of the Multidimensional Social Competence Scale (MSCS) for young adults. PLoS ONE. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0206800
Slaney, K. L., Tafreshi, D., & Hohn, R. (2018). Random or fixed? An empirical examination of meta-analysis model choices. Review of General Psychology, 22, 290-304.
Slaney, K. L., & Garcia, D. A. (2015). Constructing psychological objects: The rhetoric of constructs. Journal of Theoretical and Philosophical Psychology, 35, 244-259.
Slaney, K. L. & Wu, C. A. (2022). Metaphors, Idioms, and Clichés: The rhetoric of objectivity in psychological science discourse. In B. Slife, S. Yanchar, & F. Richardson (Eds), Routledge International Handbook of Theoretical and Philosophical Psychology (pp. 453-472). New York, NY: Routledge.
Slaney, K. L. (2021). Is there a waning appetite for critical methodology in mainstream scientific psychology? In J. T. Lamiell & K. L. Slaney (Eds). Problematic research practices and inertia in scientific psychology: History, sources, and recommended solutions (pp. 86-101). New York, NY: Routledge.
Slaney, K. L., Tafreshi, D., & Wu, C. A. (2019). Philosophical reflexivity in psychological science: Do we have it? Does it matter? In K. O’Doherty, L. Osbeck, E. Schraube, & J. Yen (Eds), Psychological studies of science and technology (pp. 237-256). Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
*student coauthors underlined
This instructor is currently not teaching any courses.