- Enter now
- Get credit
News and stories
- SFU Students Exemplify the Spirit of Innovation and Community Engagement at the Annual President’s Gala
- Co-creation is difficult. And it's worth it.
- Hands-on for impact
- Congratulations to this year’s winners!
- On power and engagement – an interview with Aslam Bulbulia (excerpted)
- Herbert’s story: how one shopping cart made a difference.
- Don't wait for perfection – jump in
- Congratulations to our 2017-18 finalists and winners
- Discover what’s possible when university students and communities work together
- Wow! Over 80 registered and 27 ideas submitted
- A bit of passion and commitment
- Reflections on a community health engagement program
- Two new awards for engaging Burnaby
- Only one more night of Compose The Space
A project to co-create a Surrey-inspired colouring book for refugee children ages 4 through 10.
We hope to bring self-empowerment to refugee families by having their lived experiences represented in coloring books that feature the city’s diversity, showcasing its resources and amenities, and providing helpful information. In order to reach a wide audience, the majority of our books will be donated to refugee families and resettlement organizations in Surrey.
Our project will help refugee children and their parents access information and navigate resources in Surrey through a more engaging and fun medium. It will also increase civic pride and celebrate diversity for both Surrey residents and refugee families.
After piloting our coloring books with Options we hope to further adapt and scale it to other newcomer populations in Surrey and other cities such as Burnaby and Vancouver. Our long term goal would be to eventually implement these coloring books into the ISSBC Welcome Centre and schools across British Columbia.
2018-19 Newcomer & Refugee Engagement Grand Award winner
Do you have an idea to engage with your community?
Register for the Student-Community Engagement Competition! $30,000 is available to fund student-community partnerships that result in meaningful impact for communities. Don't hesitate,