- Enter now
- Competition Info
- Knowledge Translation Re-imagining: Healthcare in the DTES
- Memorializing the First Filipino in Canada: A documentary
- Mixed-Race Community Group: Exploring Self, Ancestries, and Lands
- Documenstory - Ashcroft Youth Media Club
- The Process of Political Activism
- Happy, Connected, Resilient Neighbours
- Crafting Circles
- Trans Connect-ing Youth in Sport
- Ocean Care through Data Embodying and Behaviour Changes
- Let’s Do Breakfast
- Empowering Muslim Youth
- Peer Connect: Accessibility Meet up/ Games Night
- The Reclamation of Women's Bundles
- ACSSPA Sewing Mask Project
- Art for Comfort: Art for Connection
- BC Newcomer Camp
- Burnaby Mountain Festival
- Generation BXY
- Glow Within Foundation
- Haida Nerds
- Hastings Folk Garden Sound Map
- Indigenous Tutoring and Mentoring Program (ITMP)
- Math Walks
- NaloxHome SFU
- OMG I have ADHD
- Public Health Speaks
- ReRooting Relationships
- Singing Our Truths: Telling Our Stories
- Voices 4 Reconciliation
- Young Minds Exploring Science
- News & stories
- Fourteen student-led teams win funding to realize community impact!
- Leaders & Learners
- These 18 teams are springing into action with community
- Develop your capacity as a changemaker – and have fun!
- Embracing the complexity: pivoting as a practice.
- You know what’s not scary? $3,000 to fund your awesome project.
- SFU student creates youth-led overdose education and naloxone training during B.C.’s overdose crisis
- SFU student-community partnership creates local impact in Surrey
- SFU Students Exemplify the Spirit of Innovation and Community Engagement at the Annual President’s Gala
- Co-creation is difficult. And it's worth it.
- Hands-on for impact
- Congratulations to this year’s winners!
- On power and engagement – an interview with Aslam Bulbulia (excerpted)
- Herbert’s story: how one shopping cart made a difference.
- Don't wait for perfection – jump in
- Congratulations to our 2017-18 finalists and winners
- Discover what’s possible when university students and communities work together
- Contact us
Team members: Anisha Biswas (Faculty of Science, UBC), Puneet Chhina (Health Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, SFU), Catherine Wong, Gabrielle Wong (Human Geography, Faculty of Environment, SFU)
Our team, Finding Present, aims to use ‘art for social good’, encouraging social engagement through art. By providing opportunities for people to engage with each other through artistic pursuits – particularly youth – we employ art as a way of exploring the socioeconomic dilemmas facing our communities.
Crafting Circles will be free, semi-guided art sessions led by members of our team. Targeted towards youth (ages 12-25), we will provide a safe and relaxing space for creating art – or to just take a break from life! Art projects will relate to the environment, social justice, mental health, or any other issue crafting circle participants are passionate about. Session themes could include zero-waste crafting, stickers with environmental advocacy messages, or simply stress-relieving doodles! Each circle will take place in transit-accessible parts of Langley, such as Timms Community Centre or the Langley Youth Hub. We will provide materials so that everyone can participate without worrying about the cost of supplies.
The goals of our project are to provide youth in Langley with the tools and skills for creative expression, to reduce financial and social barriers to participation in arts-based activities, and to amplify the work of other advocacy organizations in Langley through creating art themed around their work. Through our group sessions, we also hope young artists build meaningful relationships and connections to the community around them.
What would you do with $3,000?
Up to $30,000* is available to fund SFU students who want to work with community partners to create meaningful impact.
Maybe you’re working on an existing idea for a class you’re taking, through a student club or another organization, or maybe you just have an amazing idea that keeps you up at night.... Whatever it is, we want to hear from you!
Start the process now by registering today – all you need is your passion and an idea.