- Enter now
- Get credit
- Past projects
News and stories
- Hands-on for impact
- Congratulations to this year’s winners!
- On power and engagement – an interview with Aslam Bulbulia (excerpted)
- Herbert’s story: how one shopping cart made a difference.
- Don't wait for perfection – jump in
- Congratulations to our 2017-18 finalists and winners
- Discover what’s possible when university students and communities work together
- Wow! Over 80 registered and 27 ideas submitted
- A bit of passion and commitment
- Reflections on a community health engagement program
- Two new awards for engaging Burnaby
- Only one more night of Compose The Space
We Are The World: Stories of Resilience
A co-created magazine to showcase seniors' stories of resilience locally and from around the world.
Currently, seniors are facing more barriers than ever. In addition to tackling health issues, areas like Burnaby are gentrifying and the impact of having ‘homes smashed’ is taking a toll on their health. Language barriers and a lack of cultural awareness are also experienced in a multi-cultural community like Burnaby. The media also continues to portray seniors based on their biomedical needs, which further labels them as a burden to society. Our idea would work to address the negative impacts these barriers have on the health and well-being of seniors by helping focus on the positive aspects of their lives.
The purpose of the magazine is to share stories of resilience from all around the world and to promote community participation, mobilization and cultural competency. We Are the World is the title of this magazine as it acknowledges that communities are stronger when they are united in vision and action.
2017 Burnaby Grand Award Winner