- Enter now
- Get credit
News & stories
- Develop your capacity as a changemaker – and have fun!
- Embracing the complexity: pivoting as a practice.
- You know what’s not scary? $3,000 to fund your awesome project.
- SFU student creates youth-led overdose education and naloxone training during B.C.’s overdose crisis
- SFU student-community partnership creates local impact in Surrey
- SFU Students Exemplify the Spirit of Innovation and Community Engagement at the Annual President’s Gala
- Co-creation is difficult. And it's worth it.
- Hands-on for impact
- Congratulations to this year’s winners!
- On power and engagement – an interview with Aslam Bulbulia (excerpted)
- Herbert’s story: how one shopping cart made a difference.
- Don't wait for perfection – jump in
- Congratulations to our 2017-18 finalists and winners
- Discover what’s possible when university students and communities work together
- Wow! Over 80 registered and 27 ideas submitted
- A bit of passion and commitment
- Reflections on a community health engagement program
- Two new awards for engaging Burnaby
- Only one more night of Compose The Space
- Contact us
Projects and competitions 2018
BURNABY GRAND AWARD WINNER
Filling the Gap
A 24-hour social innovation challenge that brings together students from across a wide variety of disciplines to co-create meaningful projects to tackle food security in Surrey and Burnaby.
Team members: Sumara Stroshein (Health Sciences), Naveed Hassanzadeh (Molecular Biology and Biochemistry), Andrew Sheroubi (Chemical Engineering, UBC)
BURNABY ENGAGEMENT AWARD WINNER
Zero Waste Fest
A half-day festival that aims to bring together regional sustainable businesses and engage the Burnaby community in sustainability and the Zero Waste Movement.
Team members: Amanda Kan (Sustainable Business) and Christina Lei (Business).
SURREY GRAND AWARD WINNER
A project to co-create a Surrey-inspired colouring book for refugee children ages 4 through 10, featuring the city’s diversity, showcasing its resources and amenities, and providing helpful information.
Team members: Adrian Genge (Health Sciences), Renmart Buhay (Biomedical Physiology), and Alanah Lam (Psychology).
SURREY ENGAGEMENT AWARD WINNER & BURNABY FESTIVAL OF LEARNING AWARD
A series of full-day, free science workshops for children and families run in partnership with local community organizations to facilitate increased diversity in STEM through engaging and fun exposure to science.
Team members: Payten Smith, Vienna Lam, Cassidy Smith, Tayler Schmidt, Naomi Zakimi, all from the School of Criminology.
2018 FINALISTS - NEWCOMER AND REFUGEE ENGAGEMENT
NEWCOMER & REFUGEE ENGAGEMENT GRAND AWARD
Using photography to tell the diverse, intersectional stories of ten self-identified refugees living in Vancouver. Ayan Ismail, an SFU student in the International Studies program, positions the project to go beyond the sympathetic and disempowering mainstream media narratives that paint refugees as people needing to be saved.
NEWCOMER & REFUGEE ENGAGEMENT AWARD
Bridging the Gap
A project to bring together second-generation immigrant youth, family members and community stakeholders in a series of dialogues about unique stressors, mental health and wellbeing.
Team members: Benta Cheng (BSc), Hussein ElHageHassan, Katrina Jang, Stephanie Lam, Janani Ravikularam, all from Health Sciences at SFU.
Hey, students – do you have an idea to ignite change?
Get funded to work together with your community to bring that idea to life? Amazing things happen when people come together (especially when you win up to $3,000 to work with)!
Register today – all you need is your name and a brief description of your idea.