- Enter now
- Competition Info
- Kokum’s Helper Society by team CCB Treaty 6
- Knowledge Translation Re-imagining: Healthcare in the DTES
- Memorializing the First Filipino in Canada: A documentary
- Mixed-Race Community Group: Exploring Self, Ancestries, and Lands
- Documenstory - Ashcroft Youth Media Club
- The Process of Political Activism
- Happy, Connected, Resilient Neighbours
- Crafting Circles
- Trans Connect-ing Youth in Sport
- Ocean Care through Data Embodying and Behaviour Changes
- Let’s Do Breakfast
- Empowering Muslim Youth
- Peer Connect: Accessibility Meet up/ Games Night
- ACSSPA Sewing Mask Project
- Art for Comfort: Art for Connection
- BC Newcomer Camp
- Burnaby Mountain Festival
- Generation BXY
- Glow Within Foundation
- Haida Nerds
- Hastings Folk Garden Sound Map
- Indigenous Tutoring and Mentoring Program (ITMP)
- Math Walks
- NaloxHome SFU
- OMG I have ADHD
- Public Health Speaks
- ReRooting Relationships
- Singing Our Truths: Telling Our Stories
- Voices 4 Reconciliation
- Young Minds Exploring Science
- News & stories
- Eighteen student-led teams win funding to realize community impact!
- Leaders & Learners
- These 18 teams are springing into action with community
- Develop your capacity as a changemaker – and have fun!
- Embracing the complexity: pivoting as a practice.
- You know what’s not scary? $3,000 to fund your awesome project.
- SFU student creates youth-led overdose education and naloxone training during B.C.’s overdose crisis
- SFU student-community partnership creates local impact in Surrey
- SFU Students Exemplify the Spirit of Innovation and Community Engagement at the Annual President’s Gala
- Co-creation is difficult. And it's worth it.
- Hands-on for impact
- Congratulations to this year’s winners!
- On power and engagement – an interview with Aslam Bulbulia (excerpted)
- Herbert’s story: how one shopping cart made a difference.
- Don't wait for perfection – jump in
- Congratulations to our 2017-18 finalists and winners
- Discover what’s possible when university students and communities work together
- Contact us
UP TO $30,000* IS AVAILABLE TO FUND SFU STUDENTS WHO WANT TO WORK WITH COMMUNITY PARTNERS TO CREATE MEANINGFUL IMPACT
*Award amounts subject to change.
The SFU Student-Community Engagement Competition provides awards in the amount of $2,000 or $3,000 to SFU students who submit innovative ideas for working with community partners on projects that will have meaningful impact.
Maybe you’re working on an existing idea for a class you’re taking, through a student club or another organization, or maybe you just have an amazing idea that keeps you up at night...
Whatever it is, we want to hear from you!
You can work with a team or you can submit an idea by yourself. As you progress through the competition, you will be required to do more detailed planning and preparation. Winning projects are chosen in early March and are characterized by imagination, commitment, feasibility, and a clear demonstration that you are working with a community partner. But you don't have to have that all figured out just yet.
To start, just register, and then submit your idea before November 25, 2022.
- Up to $30,000 is available in the form of $2,000 and $3,000 awards.
- Any SFU student can form a team, register and submit an idea.
- The deadline to submit ideas is November 25, 2022.
- Projects will be selected that best exemplify the values and principles of SFU's Strategic Community Engagement Plan.
- Learn more by checking out how it works, reading about the awards and judging, as well as the rules.
- Get inspired by checking out past projects and stories.
KEY DEADLINES & DATES:
- November 25, 2022 – deadline for registration and idea submission
- January 20, 2023 – deadline for shortlisted teams to submit a detailed proposal
- Early-to-mid February, 2023 – finalist teams will present ideas live to a panel of judges