About the Competition
If you have an innovative and impactful idea to engage the community in Surrey Centre, Metrotown, Lougheed, Edmonds or Brentwood, this competition was meant for you. Register now.
The SFU Student Community Engagement Competition (SCEC) started in 2014 as a collaborative initiative involving Blackwood Partners Management Corp., Central City, the City of Surrey and Simon Fraser University's Surrey campus.
We are proud and humbled that this competition has supported some amazing and innovative projects, including S.C.O.R.E., Gro Carts and Media Minds, projects that have successfully engaged youth, supported food justice and created foundational support for young people interested in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.
We are expanding to Burnaby!
Now in its fourth year, the competition is excited to offer an even wider array of awards designed to encourage innovative community-student engagement for positive social impact in both Surrey and Burnaby communities.
Through competition-supported projects, Blackwood Partners, the City of Surrey and Simon Fraser University hope to:
- recognize, celebrate, and champion community-student engagement and spirit;
- assist in the rejuvenation, development and success of Surrey City Centre and Central City;
- assist in the development and success of Burnaby’s four town centres: Metrotown, Brentwood, Lougheed and Edmonds;
- facilitate student participation in experiential learning opportunities through community service and partnership;
- attract students from a variety of disciplines who are enthusiastic about social entrepreneurship, innovation and community-building;
- expand and deepen collaborations with important partners in the communities where SFU students live, study, work and play.
Learn more, and take your first step!
If you have an innovative idea for engaging the community in ways that have positive social impact, take the first step towards realizing your idea by registering with the SFU Student Community Engagement Competition today.
On the shoulders of giants (our partners)
If you step back and think about it, it’s pretty amazing when people come together with the intention of doing something good in the world. We all know that conversations about what “good” means can be contentious – especially at a university! But there’s no doubting that it takes commitment, hard work, and some kind of intention to connect with others.
You should know that the SFU Student Community Engagement Competition is a collaborative initiative involving Blackwood Partners Central City, the City of Surrey, SFU Public Square and Simon Fraser University.
But it also involves you. You are what make all this possible. Without you, who would take part in this competition? Who would dream up the projects it supports? Who would be out there doing the engaging? You.
Blackwood Partners and the City of Surrey have provided $7,000 in award funds for innovative student-community engagement projects. An additional $5,000 is being provided by a community engagement fund at Simon Fraser University.
So, don’t hesitate: register today.