- Enter now
- Get credit
- ACSSPA Sewing Mask Project
- Art for Comfort: Art for Connection
- BC Newcomer Camp
- Burnaby Mountain Festival
- Generation BXY
- Glow Within Foundation
- Haida Nerds
- Hastings Folk Garden Sound Map
- Indigenous Tutoring and Mentoring Program (ITMP)
- Math Walks
- NaloxHome SFU
- OMG I have ADHD
- Public Health Speaks
- ReRooting Relationships
- Singing Our Truths: Telling Our Stories
- Voices 4 Reconciliation
- Young Minds Exploring Science
- News & stories
- These 18 teams are springing into action with community
- Develop your capacity as a changemaker – and have fun!
- Embracing the complexity: pivoting as a practice.
- You know what’s not scary? $3,000 to fund your awesome project.
- SFU student creates youth-led overdose education and naloxone training during B.C.’s overdose crisis
- SFU student-community partnership creates local impact in Surrey
- SFU Students Exemplify the Spirit of Innovation and Community Engagement at the Annual President’s Gala
- Co-creation is difficult. And it's worth it.
- Hands-on for impact
- Congratulations to this year’s winners!
- On power and engagement – an interview with Aslam Bulbulia (excerpted)
- Herbert’s story: how one shopping cart made a difference.
- Don't wait for perfection – jump in
- Congratulations to our 2017-18 finalists and winners
- Discover what’s possible when university students and communities work together
- Contact us
About the SFU Student-Community Engagement Competition
The SFU Student Community Engagement Competition (SCEC) started in 2014 as a collaboration between Blackwood Partners Management Corp., Central City, the City of Surrey and Simon Fraser University's Surrey campus.
In its first three years, the competition supported some amazing projects, such as S.C.O.R.E., Gro Carts and Media Minds, which have engaged youth, supported food justice and created foundational support for young people interested in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.
In 2017, the competition expanded with two new awards designed to encourage collaborative projects between SFU students and community partners to create positive social impact in Burnaby communities. And in 2018, thanks to generous funding from SFU International, the Burnaby Festival of Learning and others, the competition was able to expand to include brave engagement anywhere and to increase the total available funding up to $30,000.
Now in its eigth year, thanks to our committed partners, the competition is once again able to make up to $30,000* available to support SFU students who want to work together with community partners to create meaningful impact. We can't wait to see what you'll do with it!
PURPOSE OF THE COMPETITION
SFU's practice of community engagement prioritizes co-creation in cutting-edge research, transformative education and community action. Take a look at the competition's growing list of student-led projects to see how students are working together with community partners to co-create lasting, meaningful impact.
And if you’re currently an SFU student, your idea could be next! Register today and then submit your idea by November 26, 2021, and take part in this transformational process. Think critically, listen deeply and take courageous and responsible action – in partnership with people and organizations in our communities – on the issues that matter.
Thank you to our partners
If you step back and think about it, it’s pretty amazing when people come together with the intention of doing something good in the world. We all know that conversations about what “good” means can be contentious – especially at a university! But there’s no doubting that it takes commitment, hard work, and some kind of intention to connect with others honestly and respectfully in an ongoing way.
The SFU Student Community Engagement Competition is a collaborative initiative that has been successful thanks to the involvement of Blackwood Partners Central City, the City of Surrey, SFU Public Square, the Burnaby Festival of Learning, SFU International and Simon Fraser University. We are so grateful to our past and present partners, who share this vision and who are the heroes who continue to make this opportunity available.
Hey, students – Doyou have an idea to ignite change?
Get funded to work together with your community to bring that idea to life? Amazing things happen when people come together (especially when you win up to $3,000* to work with)!
Register today – all you need is your name and a brief description of your idea.