The SFU Student Community Engagement Competition (SCEC) started in 2014 as a collaboration between Blackwood Partners Management Corp., Central City, the City of Surrey and Simon Fraser University's Surrey campus.
In its first three years, the competition supported some amazing projects, such as S.C.O.R.E., Gro Carts and Media Minds, which have engaged youth, supported food justice and created foundational support for young people interested in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.
In 2017, the competition expanded with two new awards designed to encourage innovative community-student engagement for positive social impact in Burnaby communities. The two winning projects in our first Burnaby-based competition were We Are The World and Eco Endeavours.
Purpose of the competition
Simon Fraser University aspires to be a leading engaged university defined by its dynamic integration of innovative education, cutting-edge research and far-reaching community engagement. The SFU Student-Community Engagement Competition seeks to recognize, celebrate, and champion community-student engagement and spirit by mobilizing student-led projects that will lead to meaningful impact:
- recognize, celebrate, and champion community-student engagement and spirit;
- assist in the rejuvenation, development and success of Surrey City Centre and Central City;
- assist in the development and success of Burnaby’s four town centres: Metrotown, Brentwood, Lougheed and Edmonds;
- catalyze meaningful student-community engagement and impact with local newcomer and refugee communities;
- facilitate student participation in experiential learning opportunities through community service and partnership;
- attract students from a variety of disciplines who are enthusiastic about social entrepreneurship, innovation and community-building;
- expand and deepen collaborations with important partners in the communities where SFU students live, study, work and play.