- Enter now
- Competition Info
- Kokum's Helper Round Dance by team CCB Treaty 6
- Knowledge Translation Re-imagining: Healthcare in the DTES
- Memorializing the First Filipino in Canada: A documentary
- Mixed-Race Community Group: Exploring Self, Ancestries, and Lands
- Documenstory - Ashcroft Youth Media Club
- The Process of Political Activism
- Happy, Connected, Resilient Neighbours
- Crafting Circles
- Trans Connect-ing Youth in Sport
- Ocean Care through Data Embodying and Behaviour Changes
- Let’s Do Breakfast
- Empowering Muslim Youth
- Peer Connect: Accessibility Meet up/ Games Night
- The Reclamation of Women's Bundles
- ACSSPA Sewing Mask Project
- Art for Comfort: Art for Connection
- BC Newcomer Camp
- Burnaby Mountain Festival
- Generation BXY
- Glow Within Foundation
- Haida Nerds
- Hastings Folk Garden Sound Map
- Indigenous Tutoring and Mentoring Program (ITMP)
- Math Walks
- NaloxHome SFU
- OMG I have ADHD
- Public Health Speaks
- ReRooting Relationships
- Singing Our Truths: Telling Our Stories
- Voices 4 Reconciliation
- Young Minds Exploring Science
- News & stories
- Fourteen student-led teams win funding to realize community impact!
- Leaders & Learners
- These 18 teams are springing into action with community
- Develop your capacity as a changemaker – and have fun!
- Embracing the complexity: pivoting as a practice.
- You know what’s not scary? $3,000 to fund your awesome project.
- SFU student creates youth-led overdose education and naloxone training during B.C.’s overdose crisis
- SFU student-community partnership creates local impact in Surrey
- SFU Students Exemplify the Spirit of Innovation and Community Engagement at the Annual President’s Gala
- Co-creation is difficult. And it's worth it.
- Hands-on for impact
- Congratulations to this year’s winners!
- On power and engagement – an interview with Aslam Bulbulia (excerpted)
- Herbert’s story: how one shopping cart made a difference.
- Don't wait for perfection – jump in
- Congratulations to our 2017-18 finalists and winners
- Discover what’s possible when university students and communities work together
- Contact us
Making HER Future!
Team members: Maryam Zarei (SFU), Naghmi Shireen (SFU), Niloofar Kazemi (SFU), Ahmed Abu Zuraiq (SFU), Talia Ahmad (UBC)
“Making HER Future!” is a project to support young girls (middle school-aged) in tech. The idea is to conduct a series of interactive workshops where teenage girls are invited to participate with their mothers (since a good way to empower girls is to empower their mothers) in order to:
- listen to the success stories of several women in tech to gain knowledge, motivation, and inspiration, and ask questions;
- do creative mini-projects designed to involve them with STEM-related activities in groups; and finally
- develop a time capsule envisioning the role of women in tech in 2050.
The goal of this project is to create a safe space for a new generation to uncover their strengths and interests. It also helps to reduce the confidence gap when it comes to technology-related subjects such as robotics and programming. Universities, as accessible and trusted spaces in the community, have a unique opportunity to expand the reach of science, technology, engineering, and math, and they help to increase access for community members who are underserved and underrepresented in STEM. This project strengthens the mother-daughter bond by giving moms aspirations to what their daughters have in mind towards their future (how they imagine the future).
2019-20 Surrey City Centre Grand Award & Burnaby Festival of Learning Community Engagement Award winner
What would you do with $3,000?
Up to $30,000* is available to fund SFU students who want to work with community partners to create meaningful impact.
Maybe you’re working on an existing idea for a class you’re taking, through a student club or another organization, or maybe you just have an amazing idea that keeps you up at night.... Whatever it is, we want to hear from you!
Start the process now by registering today – all you need is your passion and an idea.