- Enter now
- Competition Info
- Knowledge Translation Re-imagining: Healthcare in the DTES
- Memorializing the First Filipino in Canada: A documentary
- Mixed-Race Community Group: Exploring Self, Ancestries, and Lands
- Documenstory - Ashcroft Youth Media Club
- The Process of Political Activism
- Happy, Connected, Resilient Neighbours
- Crafting Circles
- Trans Connect-ing Youth in Sport
- Ocean Care through Data Embodying and Behaviour Changes
- Let’s Do Breakfast
- Empowering Muslim Youth
- Peer Connect: Accessibility Meet up/ Games Night
- The Reclamation of Women's Bundles
- ACSSPA Sewing Mask Project
- Art for Comfort: Art for Connection
- BC Newcomer Camp
- Burnaby Mountain Festival
- Generation BXY
- Glow Within Foundation
- Haida Nerds
- Hastings Folk Garden Sound Map
- Indigenous Tutoring and Mentoring Program (ITMP)
- Math Walks
- NaloxHome SFU
- OMG I have ADHD
- Public Health Speaks
- ReRooting Relationships
- Singing Our Truths: Telling Our Stories
- Voices 4 Reconciliation
- Young Minds Exploring Science
- News & stories
- Fourteen student-led teams win funding to realize community impact!
- Leaders & Learners
- These 18 teams are springing into action with community
- Develop your capacity as a changemaker – and have fun!
- Embracing the complexity: pivoting as a practice.
- You know what’s not scary? $3,000 to fund your awesome project.
- SFU student creates youth-led overdose education and naloxone training during B.C.’s overdose crisis
- SFU student-community partnership creates local impact in Surrey
- SFU Students Exemplify the Spirit of Innovation and Community Engagement at the Annual President’s Gala
- Co-creation is difficult. And it's worth it.
- Hands-on for impact
- Congratulations to this year’s winners!
- On power and engagement – an interview with Aslam Bulbulia (excerpted)
- Herbert’s story: how one shopping cart made a difference.
- Don't wait for perfection – jump in
- Congratulations to our 2017-18 finalists and winners
- Discover what’s possible when university students and communities work together
- Contact us
Public Health Speaks
Team members: Girly Joy Abasta (SFU Master of Public Health Program)
Public Health Speaks’ vision is to empower and engage the community in making informed choices about their health through effective health promotion, information dissemination, and community partnerships.
Canadian employees hire temporary foreign workers (TFWs) to fill in labour gaps in both skilled and low skilled trades. Although TFWs play a significant role in Canada’s economy, they have remained an invisible and underpaid human resource who often work in precarious conditions and are subject to different labour laws and regulations than permanent residents and citizens. Although employers are required to provide health care coverage for their TFW employees, these workers have limited access to health care due to the bureaucratic challenges and delays they face in obtaining their health cards. Many do not seek health care because of a lack of familiarity with Canadian health care system, working long hours, having language and cultural barriers to more information, and with limited knowledge about their rights in accessing health care.
Public Health Speaks is seeking to bridge the informational gap. Guided by the Ottawa Charter for Health Promotion strategies and Stanford’s Equity-Centred Design framework, this project aims to (a) empower individuals to make informed choices about their health & safety by bridging the knowledge gaps about the healthcare system; (b) orient the intended population to existing community health services and resources; and (c) help reduce possible overcapacity in Emergency Departments and emergency lines.
SUCCESS BC, SFU Faculty of Health Sciences Graduate Caucus and SFU Residences.
What would you do with $3,000?
Up to $30,000* is available to fund SFU students who want to work with community partners to create meaningful impact.
Maybe you’re working on an existing idea for a class you’re taking, through a student club or another organization, or maybe you just have an amazing idea that keeps you up at night.... Whatever it is, we want to hear from you!
Start the process now by registering today – all you need is your passion and an idea.