Program entry for all levels for Dance, Film, Music & Sound, Production & Design, Theatre & Performance, and Visual Art BFAs is by audition, interview, or portfolio. Auditions, interviews and portfolio reviews take place from January to April. Entry into the Art, Performance & Cinema Studies (APCS) BA is based on a questionnaire. Please scroll down for Program Area-specific information, instructions, and documents.
Cohort based - Fall Admission
The SCA offers cohort-based Major programs. Students work with the same group or cohort of students for the four years of their Major. Starting in the Fall term of Year 1, students follow a sequence of cohort classes each year.
Our entry process is limited to Fall term (September) for our Majors. While SFU offers Spring and Summer admissions to the University, we are not able to accept applications to SCA majors for Spring and Summer entry.
Important - Intended Major Status
When you apply to SFU you are asked to declare an Intended Major. If you are admitted to the University by SFU Admissions, it is as an Intended Major and you have not been accepted to an SCA Major. To be accepted to an SCA Major, you need to complete the supplementary application. This can be found on your TO DO LIST in your goSFU account. The SCA supplementary application process (applications, reviews and decisions) is done in Spring, for entry to SCA for the following Fall term.
The SCA and SFU application and acceptance timelines for Fall 2024 are below:
SFU Undergraduate Application Period
- High School Applications (including Mature Students) and Transfer Applicants applying to SCA: October 1, 2023 - January 31, 2024
- For Post-Secondary/Transfer Applicants only: March 1, 2024 - April 15, 2024
SCA Supplementary Application Period: October 15, 2023 - March 15, 2024
- Priority Deadline (all SCA Areas except Dance) - January 15, 2024 | Dance: February 15, 2024
- Final Deadlines:
- Dance: April 1, 2024
- Film: February 15, 2024
- Music and Sound: March 15, 2024
- Theatre and Performance: March 15, 2024
- Theatre Production and Design: March 15, 2024
- Visual Art: March 15, 2024
- Art, Performance and Cinema Studies: March 15, 2024
how to apply
Step 1 - Apply to SFU
You can find SFU's Admissions Requirements HERE.
You can apply to SFU HERE.
High-School Applicants (including Mature Students): Apply to SFU before submitting the SCA supplementary application. You do not need to be admitted to SFU prior to applying to SCA. After applying to SFU, you will be given a 9-digit reference number (e.g. 303333333) - you will need this number to submit the SCA supplementary application.
Post-Secondary/Transfer Applicants: You can apply to SCA prior to submitting your SFU application. You do not need to be admitted to SFU before applying to SCA. For the 9-digit reference number, please put 909000000 - this will identify you as a post-secondary/transfer applicant.
Step 2 - Apply to SCA
There are three parts to the SCA supplementary application:
- Part 1: Fill out the SCA Online Application Form
- Part 2: Submit the Area-specific questionnaire and supporting documents (e.g. portfolio). CLICK HERE for the Area-specific applications. Remember, each Area has their own final deadlines, make sure to review the deadlines carefully
- Part 3: Audition or interview (Area-specific)
- Dance: Auditions are held in February and April
- Film: You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview in February or March
- Music and Sound: You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview in February or March
- Theatre and Performance: Auditions are held in January, February and March
- Theatre Production & Design: You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview in February or March
- Dance: Auditions are held in February and April
Step 3 - Your SFU and SCA Application Results
You need to gain admission to both SFU and SCA to start in the Major.
Communication regarding your admission to SFU will come from SFU Amissions, and communication regarding your admission to SCA will come from SCA directly.
All applicants will be notified by email.
Don't forget to accept the SFU and SCA offers! You can accept your SFU offer through your goSFU account, and your SCA offer by replying to your offer email.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I'm admitted to SFU but not accepted to the SCA?
If you are admitted to SFU but not accepted to SCA, you will be admitted to SFU as an Intended Major. This is not the same as being declared in a Major - it is a placeholder for undeclared students.
- You can re-apply to an SCA Major for the next Fall semester - you do not need to re-apply to SFU, but you do need to submit a new SCA supplementary application.
- You will receive an email from SCA with more information on course enrollment for your first year.
- You can also explore the other Majors offered at SFU - Please reach out to Student Services Advising for more information
What if I'm not admitted to SFU but accepted to the SCA?
Your admission to the SCA Major is conditional on your admission to the University. If you are not admitted to SFU, we encourage you to make alternate plans for the Fall semester.
Please contact SFU Admissions if you have any questions about your SFU application results.
If you re-apply to SFU at a later date, you will also need to submit a new SCA supplementary application. Please note, re-admission to SCA is not guaranteed.
If you have any questions about your application status, please contact the SCA's New Student Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The process to apply for the Dance program is a questionnaire and an audition. Please note that a live audition is strongly recommended and preferrred. If circumstances prevent your attendance at a live audition, we will accept a video audition.
Find out more about the Dance program HERE.
The process to apply for the Film program is a questionnaire followed by an interview. Based on the results of the submitted questionnaire, a virtual interview will follow later for approximately half the students who have applied. Please note that applicants for the Film Program may only apply a maximum of two times.
Find out more about the Film program HERE.
For answers to frequently asked questions about the Film program, as well as advice on filling out the questionnaire, see our Film Area FAQ.
Application to the Music & Sound program requires submitting a questionnaire and a portfolio of musical work. After applications are reviewed, a select group of prospective students will be contacted for an interview.
Find out more about the Music & Sound program HERE.
Prospective students are encouraged to thoroughly research the program description, FAQs, and alumni profiles including links that illustrate their work and careers. If these resources spark your curiosity, this may be the program for you!
The process to apply for the Theatre & Performance program is a questionnaire and an audition. Please note that a live audition is strongly recommended and preferrred. If circumstances prevent your attendance at a live audition, we will accept a video audition.
Find out more about the Theatre Performance program HERE.
All prospective Production & Design students will submit a questionnaire. After applications are reviewed, a select group of prospective students will be contacted for an interview.
Find out more about the Theatre Production & Design program HERE.
All prospective Art, Performance & Cinema Studies students are required to submit a questionnaire.
Find out more about the Art, Performance & Cinema Studies program HERE.
Take a tour of the SCA at SFU Goldcorp Centre for the Arts
We'd love to show you around! Please email email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
New Student Advisor: firstname.lastname@example.org