Talk: Bill T. Jones
October 29, 2020 | 12:30 PM | Zoom | FREE
The SCA Dance Area is excited to welcome influential New York City-based choreographer, director, author, and dancer Bill T. Jones for a live-streaming conversation with SCA Professor Dr. Henry Daniel. Their conversation will address a number of issues important to contemporary dance scholarship, while also covering Jones' diverse, long, and venerable career and his ongoing and current work.
To help situate Jones' work and career in advance of their conversation, Dr. Daniel has collected a set of readings, videos, and references:
- Running Live Dance Drills at the Armory (New York Times)
- New York Times: Bill T. Jones on Deep Blue Sea, the AIDS crisis, and making art now. (New York Times)
- Dancing with a machine: Bill T. Jones on AI and art (includes video)
- Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company: Body Against Body (New York Times)
- Bill T Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company: Body Against Body Trailer (Video)
- Body against body: the dance and other collaborations of Bill T. Jones & Arnie Zane / edited by Elizabeth Zimmer and Susan Quasha.
Elizabeth Zimmer; Susan Quasha; Bill T Jones; Arnie Zane 1948-1988. Barrytown, NY : Station Hill Press 1989
- The Body Politic (New Yorker)
- Discussing the Undiscussable (New Yorker)
- Jones, Bill T. Peggy Gillespie. Last Night on Earth. New York: Pantheon Books, 1995
- Paris, Carl. “Will the Real Bill T. Jones Please Stand up?” JSTOR, Summer, 2005, Vol. 49, No. 2, MIT Press (Jstor)
- Bill T. Jones – Ghostcatching (excerpts) (Video)
- Story/Time : the life of an idea Bill T. Jones. Bill T Jones Project Muse. Princeton, NJ : Princeton University Press, 2014
- Bill T. Jones in Conversation with Robert Reid-Pharr (Video)
- Bill T. Jones – The Process of Becoming Infinite (Video)
- Body, Movement, Language: AI Sketches With Bill T. Jones, 2019 (with video)
- The Show That Would Have Been: Bill T. Jones Talks Deep Blue Sea
Bill T. Jones (Artistic Director/Co-Founder/Choreographer: Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Company; Artistic Director: New York Live Arts) is the Associate Artist of the 2020 Holland Festival and recipient of the 2014 Doris Duke Performing Artist Award; the 2013 National Medal of Arts; the 2010 Kennedy Center Honors; a 2010 Tony Award for Best Choreography of the critically acclaimed FELA!; a 2007 Tony Award, 2007 Obie Award, and 2006 Stage Directors and Choreographers Foundation CALLAWAY Award for his choreography for Spring Awakening; the 2010 Jacob’s Pillow Dance Award; the 2007 USA Eileen Harris Norton Fellowship; the 2006 Lucille Lortel Award for Outstanding Choreography forThe Seven; the 2005 Wexner Prize; the 2005 Samuel H. Scripps American Dance Festival Award for Lifetime Achievement; the 2005 Harlem Renaissance Award; the 2003 Dorothy and Lillian Gish Prize; and the 1994 MacArthur “Genius” Award. In 2010, Mr. Jones was recognized as Officier de l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by the French government, and in 2000, The Dance Heritage Coalition named Mr. Jones “An Irreplaceable Dance Treasure.”
Mr. Jones choreographed and performed worldwide with his late partner, Arnie Zane, before forming the Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company in 1982. He has created more than 140 works for his company. Mr. Jones is the Artistic Director of New York Live Arts, an organization that strives to create a robust framework in support of the nation’s dance and movement-based artists through new approaches to producing, presenting and educating. For more information visit www.newyorklivearts.org.